• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9in brake upgrade

RalphXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok first some background:
1992 XJ, 6+in lift, 35s soon to be 36s or 37s
HP D44, Ford 9in from a 78 F150
4.88s, ABR front, MiniSpool rear
Stock F150 brakes, and stock XJ ABS brake components under the hood

My rear brakes are shot, the shoes are dead and basicly it all needs replaced(springs cables, everything is very used).

I'm looking to improve braking, and not spend a LOT of money! And possibly have a working parking brake(if I swap to discs).
I would like to find a solution that doesn't involve all new everything under the hood, and if it does, its with stuff I can easily find and install(dont want a major fab project)!

SO here are my options, what do you guys think?
1. Install new stock componets and stick with drums
2. Install discs from an explorer or similar that can be found cheap
3. Go crazy and redo everything under the hood and get a good disc kit
4. ????

What can I do under the hood that will really add some life to my system under the hood? Will upgrading to 96+ booster help enough? Should I add an E350 master cylindar? 96 Booster with a E350 MC? Or something else? What have you guys done to bring your big XJs to a stop?

I put 1/2 chevy disc on the back of my 9". With all new stuff it cost about $120. I bought weld on brackets, 1/2 chevy calipers and CJ7 brake rotors same bolt pattern. I still have the stock brake MC and I can lock it with running 35's. IF your going on the run the 29th you check it out. And I help ya out on install if ya need it.

Mark

RalphXJ said:
2. Install discs from an explorer or similar that can be found cheap

pretty sure the explorer rotors are 5 on 4.5

I like my drums a lot - and they only cost me something like 50.00 for the whole setup... turned drums, new pads, new springs, new hardware, new cylenders....

I used 1/2 ton chevy calipers on the back and 1/2 ton ford stuff on the front. I used weld on brackets like mentioned.

Under the hood I took out all the ABS stuff, it was extremely easy because I just undid the lines and pulled the booster, MC and pump out as a unit. I put in a Non-ABS booster, corvette master and a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. I think it was under $150 for all the parts under the hood.

where did you guys find the 1/2 ton chevy stuff, esp. the weld on brackets? a buddy of mine is looking to upgrade the brakes on his EB 9" and we're having some trouble finding a way to do this at a reasonable price.

Mark I would defenetly like to check that out and see how it all works!! Do you have a parking brake, or not? Ya I'll, be at the run on the 29th if they ever descide where its at!

By explorer brakes, I ment that style, Currie and a few others sell them with the 5x5.5 bolt pattern! I would just get the mounting stuff and get the rest somewhere cheaper.

I think I like the weld on bracket idea, and just front discs on the rear!

Would I be better off getting the newer style booster, or would my 92 booster be good enough?

RalphXJ said:
Mark I would defenetly like to check that out and see how it all works!! Do you have a parking brake, or not? Ya I'll, be at the run on the 29th if they ever descide where its at!

No i dont have a parking brake. Thought about putting in a Line lock for a short term parking break. Cause some will bleed off after time. But being automatic. I really dont need one.

Thats what I was thinking about the parking brake, I just use park for now as well. However I park on a VERY steep hill in Pittsburgh, and I dont really like it, but it works I guess! I'll check out your setup in acouple weeks!

slvrmdxj said:
where did you guys find the 1/2 ton chevy stuff, esp. the weld on brackets? a buddy of mine is looking to upgrade the brakes on his EB 9" and we're having some trouble finding a way to do this at a reasonable price.

I got mine from poske racing in Parkersburgh WV www.poske.com. They were $16.95 + shipping

My rear 44 has 9" ends and Lincoln disc brakes. Should be easy to find calipers and mounts off a 9" at the junk yard if you want to go that way.

The parking brake works OK and brake pedal feel kinda sucked with the stock heep ABS booster & MC, like it prolly does with all rear disc swaps. I like the Explorer disc's parking brake better and if I had it to do over, I'd try those.

XJ_ranger said:
pretty sure the explorer rotors are 5 on 4.5

I like my drums a lot - and they only cost me something like 50.00 for the whole setup... turned drums, new pads, new springs, new hardware, new cylenders....

Do you still have the parking brake and how did yo hook it up?

Matt

Back