• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tent trailer..

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Any issues towing a starcraft pop tent?

Can't find a solid number on how heavy they are...

my truck has a cooler piped behind the radiator, which I'm pretty sure is a tranny cooler.

would that be enough to keep my temps down? I've got new hoses, radiator and thermostat installed and have no issues with overheating, even during the summer months...

thanks,
Brian

p.s. I have a 1992 4.0L\aw4\np231\d35 rig...trailer is the standard 70-80s double queen bed type.

cool.

Ummmm..... sortofa leading question, that. I've seen pop-ups with anywhere from an 8' lightweight box to a 16' monster.

In theory, a properly equipped XJ (auto, trans cooler, weight distributing hitch, etc.) is good for up to 5,000 lbs. Even with a light trailer, though, I'd definitely want to run electric brakes (Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 would be my recommendations for a controller,) XJ brakes are marginal on their own. At least with a pop-up, you've got a relatively low front cross section to deal with wind loads.

I towed a Coleman Santa Fe (right around 2,100 lbs) from Chicago to Moab 3 times without issue. It did want to really heat up heading up into the Rockies over 3k RPMs, though. If you're towing on slopes, keep your eyes on your temp gauge. Do *NOT* rely on idiot lights, those won't come on until it's too late.

Now.... about that D35 rear axle......

You'll want a bigger tranny cooler, but people tow pop up's with XJ's all the time without problems.

Ummmm..... sortofa leading question, that. I've seen pop-ups with anywhere from an 8' lightweight box to a 16' monster.

In theory, a properly equipped XJ (auto, trans cooler, weight distributing hitch, etc.) is good for up to 5,000 lbs. Even with a light trailer, though, I'd definitely want to run electric brakes (Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 would be my recommendations for a controller,) XJ brakes are marginal on their own. At least with a pop-up, you've got a relatively low front cross section to deal with wind loads.

I towed a Coleman Santa Fe (right around 2,100 lbs) from Chicago to Moab 3 times without issue. It did want to really heat up heading up into the Rockies over 3k RPMs, though. If you're towing on slopes, keep your eyes on your temp gauge. Do *NOT* rely on idiot lights, those won't come on until it's too late.

Now.... about that D35 rear axle......

hahaha. thanks for the info.

BTW, my 8.25 is sitting my garage!!:clap:

Answers to your question are affected by a variety of factors, including tire size, gear ratio, trailer weight, road conditions, ambient temperature, engine size, overall vehicle condition, passenger girth, driving sytle, compass heading, and whether your windows are up or down.

I regularly tow a 3500 lb single axle, electronic brake-equipped, swaybar enabled Fleetwood Bayview CP folding tent trailer (white in color) with my high mileage Jeep Cherokee. Flat roads are best for towing that setup with the XJ. Hills are a problem, especially on the upward side. Since you live in San Diego, hills will be your greatest downfall. Sorry about the pun.

Personally, I have overheated a few times on an upgrade when the trailer and stock vehicle was not overly packed with camping gear, dogs, and the obligatory assemblage of oreo cookies and beer. Outside temps were in the mid 70's, elevation was just above 5,000 feet, driving speeds were around 45 mph, and I had just eaten lunch.

Keep your tranny in 3rd gear. That means NO overdrive. Check your fluids before leaving. Use a swaybar to prevent tail wag. Use electric brakes with trailer weights greater than...2500 lbs.

I've had three pop-ups (varying weights) and towed with two different Cherokees (stock and 31" tires). In a few weeks I will tow with my current rig for the first time while on 33" tires and 4.56 gears. This one is red, so it should tow better than the blue one.

In a few weeks I will tow with my current rig for the first time while on 33" tires and 4.56 gears. This one is red, so it should tow better than the blue one.

My last trip from Chicago to Moab with my XJ towing a pop-up was on 33x12.50 MT/Rs with 4.10 gears (AX15 5spd.) Undoubtedly the *WRONG* gears for that much tire. I got out there, but the 4.0l struggled at highway speeds.

Mmm Moab. I will be towing my massive Fleetwood Bayside trailer with the dual batts, dining room slide out, kitchen pop out, dual king beds, external grill, and a thing to cook on all 800 miles to Moab in May 2011. I'll post to this thread again in say...14 and a half months.

I found a picture of when I overheated while towing my trailer with my first XJ (on 31" tires and 3.55 gears).

ry%3D480

What do you guys with lifts (5" plus) do to keep the trailer tongue fairly horizontal? My trailer is fairly low (14' Coleman) and the biggest draw bar drop I can find is 11" while I need about 15".

Doh! I don't think they exist. Gonna have to get something fabbed, methinks.

:wierd:

used to have a blazer on 38's. I assure you. they exist.

go to a trailer supply store, or if you can stomach it, 4wheelparts

Around san diego we have OffRoadWarehouse, and I know they have 4, 6, and 8, 10, 12in inch drop ball mounts. any lower than that, and I suggest you get a bigger tire for your trailer, or bigger springs...

Last edited:
What do you guys with lifts (5" plus) do to keep the trailer tongue fairly horizontal? My trailer is fairly low (14' Coleman) and the biggest draw bar drop I can find is 11" while I need about 15".

I put a 4" lift on my trailer. By installing some tube between the axle and frame.

Back