• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Titan Monster 4.9 300 Cubic Inch Jeep Stroker

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
That and Im gonna add that 4.9 is really pushing the limits...4.9 is big enough that once it wears, its done, there wont be a bore and rebuild. Horsepower to Horsepower, dollar for dollar, what you would spend on that motor, shipping of it, then the ignition and fuel to run it you could have a mild built V8 with more hp and better longevity

That and Im gonna add that 4.9 is really pushing the limits...4.9 is big enough that once it wears, its done, there wont be a bore and rebuild. Horsepower to Horsepower, dollar for dollar, what you would spend on that motor, shipping of it, then the ignition and fuel to run it you could have a mild built V8 with more hp and better longevity

what he said.... the only reason a 4.7 is going in my jeep is because i got a spankin deal on it, otherwise my money would have bee better spent on a 5.3 or an LS1

We're using an offset ground crank(4.060" stroke) and .062" over pistons to get our 4.9l, so there is room for one overbore(I know of at least one guy running +.080" diamond pistons in his stroker). I'm not sure how titan gets their 4.9l, but you'd be better off spending that $3500 on a Golen 4.6l or an atk with goodies.

Titan = Crap.
You'll be lucky to hear anyone say anything positive about that company.

Is that your personal experience with Titan or is that what you "heard"?

In this economy I hate to see any company slammed that is trying to survive.
I did hear something bad about Titan strokers and when I searched it down one guy had one problem. So if one of us has a problem with an XJ thats the end of this site because no one wants to buy and XJ. :firedevil

Lets print facts not BS or hearsay. And if you really personally had a bad experience with Titan, please be specific and give us the facts.:peace:

Shipping is free.... not on the core I imagine though. I would think a V8 swap would be way more expensive...

As far as having no room to bore it out again... when would you have to do that? At 150k miles? I don't even put 10k a year on my jeeps...

Last edited:
Spend some bucks and get the factory 4.7L replacement with a full warranty.

I did hear something bad about Titan strokers and when I searched it down one guy had one problem. So if one of us has a problem with an XJ thats the end of this site because no one wants to buy and XJ. :firedevil

Lets print facts not BS or hearsay. And if you really personally had a bad experience with Titan, please be specific and give us the facts.:peace:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. If you or someone close to you does not have personal experience with Titan, why flame them? If you do please give specifics. They do have a 4.7 for $400 less than the ATK (no doubting their reputation) and there has been a review thread up on the jeep forum http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f226/titan-engines-4-7l-stroker-770899/ since 2008 and no one has flamed them. I have done some research on them because I have a 98 Stocker with 212K and they seem to have a great rep and a good price as well as a 36k warranty.

OK, this adds some credibility to the 2nd post (not the "crap" part)... http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1189 so much for the great rep part.

Last edited:
I just typed up a 2000 word paragraph on exactly why not to purchase anything from Titan (I have, recently, and it didn't run) and the page went backwards. Don't you just hate heat sensing touchpads?

So here's the background: I purchased the Cam, Crank, and Rods separately. I told them the specs and they said they could build it for me (4.6 stroker). So after I get the engine and swap all the parts over to the new longblock (after we cleaned them, minus the dist and alternator), we crank it up and break in the new cam. It was at someone's house who helped me. We were also installing a suspension kit and 4WD on it. A few days later I crank it up and go to drive it about 3-4 miles back to my house. The whole time it was acting erratic. In mid-drive it would start shaking the jeep horribly, oil pressure would drop from 40 to 20 gradually, and at lower rpm it would feel like it's about to shut off. During driving when it started doing that I would hit the gas more and it would go away. And that is how I drove it back to my house. During that time it felt like it had no power at all considering how much throttle I gave it. It had a lot less pep and pull than before. I didn't understand any of this since it ran fine during the cam-break in procedure. So that's when I called Titan back... they had me do the timing (myself, and I'm not ASE certified like the guy that helped me). I messed it up. I took it to a mechanic who did it two different times with the same results that I had while I was driving it. They talked with Titan over the phone both times to confirm they were doing it correctly. So in the end I paid them 80 bucks and towed it back to Titan so THEY could do it.

It's been sitting in their parking lot being on the bottom of the totem pole in between other jobs for the past 17 days. They managed to adjust the timing after the first 7 days and decided (because it ran just like it did for us, crappy) that they need to take off the valve cover and look at the cam. They came to THAT decision 10 days ago. Subtract a weekend and you have 8 business days. In that time they have not even TOUCHED the valve cover. They won't do that until "monday" so I'm to call back Tuesday; and just so you all know, any time you are told to call back just know that they won't have touched it by then and they'll give you another 2 day time frame to call back... at which point they MIGHT have started. It was like me calling them was the only thing reminding them that they needed to work on the $2400 engine I purchased that never ran more than 4 miles... and has been there in their parking lot for over 2 weeks.

It took them 7 days to check the timing which was "way" off. I don't know if that's true or if they're saying that so they can nickel and dime me for every penny and blame the timing on why it didn't run.
I do know that when we first put it in and ran it, it was spot on. From there when I tried to drive it back to the house 2 days later is where we had the problem.
The engine wold drop oil pressure to 20 from 40 and bounce between 20 and 30 eventually just tapering off from 20 to 10 and shutting off. The engine would start vibrating horribly and then the whole vehicle would shudder with it in tune before it shut off. So keep in mind I told him it ran fine... and gradually degraded this way. He tells me to adjust the timing, so I did. I know I XXXXed it up. So I took it to another ASE certified mechanic and they did it while they were talking to Titan over the phone. They got it to where it ran like it did before I touched it. So I took it back to Titan.

That was 17 days ago. 7 days to set the dist timing and come to the conclusion that they're going to open up the valve cover, another 12 days to actually open the valve cover and look at the cam. Or maybe it's 12 to open the valve cover and another 3 before actually looking at the cam. or no.. I call back in 3 and they tell me to call back in 2 because they haven't touched it. Then when I call that time I call the next day; oh, by the way, our warranty isn't covering this. You'll be paying for it.

I sense that this coming weekend they still aren't going to have touched it. If that's the case I'm going back down to Florida and paying a company to have it towed to NC. I'm going to take it to the hobby shop on base and work on it my damn self. Titan has been a complete waste of money.

They have a sign in their parking lot that says "Not responsible for vehicles that have been here over 30 days," and their business is right next to the ghetto. With the way they're taking their sweet ass time it'll be stolen before they even get started on it.

I honestly feel like Titan carries the true F'you'over mechanic spirit that goes with the typical persona applied to a "mechanic." Only they charge you for an initial gauranteed pricey job that they didn't do correctly, then charge you more for the follow on problems you have that they deem aren't part of their warranty.

All I wanted to do was come back from Okinawa after two years, put in the 4.6 and add all my accessories and go off-roading. I wanted to be able to do that within my 30 days on leave before going to Camp Lejeune, but I guess that was way too much to ask. The more I think about this the more it pisses me off. And they're charging me to look at the cam, and do anything form there on too. That's a kickass warranty system they have going.

So if you want to run the risk of going through this process, just call Titan Engines and they'll hook you right up.

CoffeeCommando~

Cheap cork gaskets were also supplied. The valve cover leaked so I bought a felpro to replace it.

You'll want to replace the following:
Oil Pump (should be provided if you buy a stroker)
Water Pump
Timing Chain (should be provided if you buy a stroker)
Timing Chain Gasket Set
All new hoses
Ignition Coil (if you drop yours while transferring. Mine had a paper thin crack and wouldn't work)
Distributor Rotor
Spark-Plugs
Spark-Wires
Fuel Injectors (you should have already bought these, 24lbs)
Harmonic Balancer
1 Big Jug of Purple Power

If you can, have all these before hand. We had to halt progress in order to get the harmonic balancer, then again for the ignition coil. Both had to be ordered.
And a lot of purple power and hard tooth brushes/scuzz brushes to clean off the items you transfer to the new block (oil pan, IM - extremely gunky item, valve cover, etc. etc.)

My concern would be the price, 3500 for all the claims they make to the titan 300 ci i would expect the price to reflect that. when its to good to be true it always is.

The difference in torque on the 4.9 "Monster" compared to the 4.6 is only 24. It moves up from 321 to 345, yet from 4.0 to 4.6 it changes drastically. From 220 to 324 (in my setup).
There's more horsepower, but the difference in torque from 220 to 321 is what makes the 4.6 such a night and day difference. 4.9 when you look at the end results isn't all that much better considering the longevity of the engine. The fact that they charge that much more for boring a little extra (which is nothing since they already do it) and purchase slightly larger pistons, but charge 1000 more? For an engine which has a very shortened cylinder wall lifespan? I'd never buy that engine from anyone, especially them.
Of course if I could do it all over I would have just built it myself.

What about Golen engines? Anyone have anything to say about their strokers? That is who I'm looking at going with.

Read this report.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939290
I like to add that the one I fitted for a customer has since died too!

Also, just a little more. The timing was spot on from the time it initially started up, and we broke the cam in just fine (the guy helping me ias ASE certified, owned his own mechanic shop for about 8 years and had his own lift as well as every tool known to man, to include air tools, in his back yard garage). He drives his own race car and builds engines on the side as well as doing auto repair for anyone who needs anything.
So from the time it broke in, and I turned it on for a few minutes each day just to listen to it for the next 3 days afterwards, it was fine.
When I actually went to drive it to my house I got 2 out of 5 miles before it started doing what it did to me.
Titan told me the timing was off and directed me on how to do ith, which I am not mechanically inclined and I know I messed it up. Then I had some other mechanic do it for me and they did it twice, both times it was running just the way it did before.
From then on Titan wants to blame everything that's wrong with it on the initial break in being wrong and me having the timing off... and I think they're doing this so they don't live up to the warranty and I have to pay for it.
As it turns out they open up the valve cover and the #3 rocker (pertaining to the number 2 cylinder) isn't "acting likie it's supposed to." From which I asked another renowned mechanic I know, and he said it has to be either the lifters or rockers on their part.
Just FYI, if you go with Titan make sure you have a veteran automechanic to cut out the bull shit they throw your way so they don't F you over and make you pay the cost of work that they didn't do properly on your end.

DO NOT buy from Titan.

Coffee Commando~

Back