• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Greenz is too good of a person to throw me under the bus, but in the interest of full disclosure I need to update the story. The reason his front axle locked up is because I sold him a pile of crap. It hurts to say, and I am embarrassed and ashamed that it happened, but it is still true. The bearings, gears, and ARB are trashed. I assumed they were ok because I had it totally reworked (bearings, seals, pressure fitting in the ARB) about 8k miles ago and was driving it 200 miles per week without issue. I was too focused on my new D44 install and work, I didn't think to open the cover on the axle because I was certain everything was perfect. I was wrong.

Darryl and I talked tonight and I think we sorted it out to his satisfaction. I hope that he'll share his side of the story, if nothing else it's a cautionary tale.

I can't apologize enough to Greenz and appreciate how understanding he has been.

I believe life is rich with goodness and grief. Things do happen sometimes that incite us to a response, good or bad. I also believe life is full of situations to grow relationships toward goodness. I have practiced in the last few years, to be an example of fostering good relationships based on principles. I was not going to bring up any of this on NAXJA or anywhere else. Why? Josh is an outstanding member of the NAXJA community. I'm sure his friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors all adore his respectable character. There is no reason to toss anyone under the bus.

You should all know that when I initially posted the problem, it was not to point fingers at anyone but to keep the theme of the thread title. I chose not to do a build thread but instead build inside this one. I like to be different. Josh reached out to me after reading my post. He didn't have to but he did because he cared. I was/am working a lot so didn't have time to dig into it right away to find out what happened. But once I got it apart and let Josh know, he again reached out to me to talk in person.

Josh offered me a very generous compensation along with a million apologies. I countered his offer but he insisted that it be so along with the speediest way possible. I am used to eating mistakes as in buyer be aware but this time I was treated kindly. I accepted fully and am more than satisfied with the results. This mans reputation means more to him than anything else and he should be fully respected for making it right. By all means, He should change his screen name because a weirdo he is not. This world could use a whole lot more Josh's.

Thanks again friend...:cheers:

I believe life is rich with goodness and grief. Things do happen sometimes that incite us to a response, good or bad. I also believe life is full of situations to grow relationships toward goodness. I have practiced in the last few years, to be an example of fostering good relationships based on principles. I was not going to bring up any of this on NAXJA or anywhere else. Why? Josh is an outstanding member of the NAXJA community. I'm sure his friends, family, coworkers, and neighbors all adore his respectable character. There is no reason to toss anyone under the bus.

You should all know that when I initially posted the problem, it was not to point fingers at anyone but to keep the theme of the thread title. I chose not to do a build thread but instead build inside this one. I like to be different. Josh reached out to me after reading my post. He didn't have to but he did because he cared. I was/am working a lot so didn't have time to dig into it right away to find out what happened. But once I got it apart and let Josh know, he again reached out to me to talk in person.

Josh offered me a very generous compensation along with a million apologies. I countered his offer but he insisted that it be so along with the speediest way possible. I am used to eating mistakes as in buyer be aware but this time I was treated kindly. I accepted fully and am more than satisfied with the results. This mans reputation means more to him than anything else and he should be fully respected for making it right. By all means, He should change his screen name because a weirdo he is not. This world could use a whole lot more Josh's.

Thanks again friend...:cheers:

I just wanted to thank both of you for updating the situation here. Cant help but feel for the both of you. Im glad everything got worked out! This could have been bad. . .

Good job fellas! This chapter has been in desperate need of more of this. people caring about people. Regardless of the negatives of the situation. Josh has always treated me well. either online or in person. Regardless.And I look forward to meeting Greenz. Way to be fellas!

Ive seen situations within the chapter like this go off like a 4th of july fireworks show. This was just the opposite, and handled in an exemplary way.

Awesome Read.
Bronze.

Replaced the CPS last week because the Jeep was sputtering and dying when hot. While underneath the XJ I found that the muffler bashed in and was about to fall off. Replaced the Dynomax muffler with a Flowmaster Super 44 muffler and then found that the exhaust pipe donut gasket at the manifold was bad which was causing the CPS issue, even with the new sensor. Installed the new donut gasket today and I'm praying that my Jeep Gremlins are gone. I just want to go wheeling.

Replaced the CPS last week because the Jeep was sputtering and dying when hot. While underneath the XJ I found that the muffler bashed in and was about to fall off. Replaced the Dynomax muffler with a Flowmaster Super 44 muffler and then found that the exhaust pipe donut gasket at the manifold was bad which was causing the CPS issue, even with the new sensor. Installed the new donut gasket today and I'm praying that my Jeep Gremlins are gone. I just want to go wheeling.

How do you like the flowy 44? My craptastic turbo is falling apart and I miss my glasspack but I like chambered vs blow through.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Go spintech if you don't want a 'flow-through'

How do you like the flowy 44? My craptastic turbo is falling apart and I miss my glasspack but I like chambered vs blow through.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

So far, so good on the 44 - good tone but doesn't drone. But I've only driven it 50 miles.

New tires installed.
21a8854c5187752a3bbed21df07a618f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Decided to go all out ARB front and rear. For now, I need to keep the rig DD ready but also capable for weekend fun. Vendor on another forum has a good deal going on right now. Wanted to go mechanical OX but also wanted the versatility of an air system. Air for lockers, airing up tires, and running a set of Dixie horns sometime in the future. Just kidding on the air horns. Before ordering parts I got to visit 4 stores hunting down a 36mm socket so I could pull a shaft and get the spline count. Once I got a shaft out, I discovered the axle joint had a little slop. Back to the parts store for a couple of Spicer nongreaseable joints. This was my first time replacing wheel joints but is was a piece of cake. Finished up with a wire wheel and a fresh coat of paint, looking new. Glad I found them at home and not by surprise.

Wife wasn't happy I got the front axle off the workbench myself. This old horse still has it. lol :lecture:

Not going to make NWFEST this year as I'm still building but my goal is set for Moab next October. Hope to get a couple of wheeling trips this summer but time is flying by. Ugh!

Sorry to hear you won't make it, I was hoping to drain a few beers with you.

Went wheeling last weekend at Funny Rocks, figured out my hubs were junk because they kept slipping - that's a bad noise to hear. Replaced them with Yukon Hardcore Hubs - hope that problem is solved. My Speedo stopped working last weekend too, diagnosed it as a snapped shaft in the VSS. Hope to replace it tomorrow, pack the Jeep, and head out at first light on Friday. Can't wait for no more minor issues to pop up.

Sorry to hear you won't make it, I was hoping to drain a few beers with you.

Went wheeling last weekend at Funny Rocks, figured out my hubs were junk because they kept slipping - that's a bad noise to hear. Replaced them with Yukon Hardcore Hubs - hope that problem is solved. My Speedo stopped working last weekend too, diagnosed it as a snapped shaft in the VSS. Hope to replace it tomorrow, pack the Jeep, and head out at first light on Friday. Can't wait for no more minor issues to pop up.

I'll take a rain check on the beers. :) oh yeah!

Keep thinking I need to be more prepared before I go out. It's killing me as the list of things to do seems to never end.

My whole cluster gauges stopped working with the "no bus". Donkey Kong'd the dash and it came back to life.

Good news is wife said yes to Moab. She be coming along too. :spin1:

Any issues with snow on the trails?

Did you get the hubs installed?

I'll drain some beers with you. :cheers:

There was no snow on Manastash Ridge, Funny Rocks, or NF1703. Installed the hubs last night and they seem to work. Looking forward to this.

Bought a 91 4.0HO, 2 wheel drive for 300 today. Pretty nice body, no rust, all stock and just over 100k miles. It does have a non factory sunroof that looks iffy... but if it doesn't leak then it's cool I guess.

bdd4a6f1e66f4c41e7a86d66b892cf09.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about the 2wheel drive. I have a spare Dana 30 front axle I can toss under it but I would still need a new trans, transfer case, drive shafts and linkage at least. Might not be worth it for a backup DD.

I'm thinking that I'll mostly use this one when I have my 2 door under the knife for more than a weekend.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Someone text me asking if I had the side moldings for sale. I didn't but accommodated the request by pulling off the trim and cleaning up all the residue. bigger job than I had thought it would be. It turned out great but I ran out of scratch remover before getting it all cleaned up.

Then I finally returned to the front bumper to give it a fresh coat of paint. Turned out fine for rattle can.

Until my second mode of transportation is up and running again, regearing is on hold.

Pulled the AC stuff out today - I never use AC because it makes the Jeep run warmer than I like. I hope that it gives the XJ a little more fresh air to the radiator. Also added a larger tranny cooler to help keep temps down and re-plumbed some of the hoses. Figured out that I need a new catalytic converter - the current one is rattling very bad - I'll try to get that knocked out this week.

VVmW2wG.jpg

Seventh times the charm! Clocking ring is finalized, oil is added, F&R shifters are done, and the seat is in after having to sacrifice some structure for clearance. Just have to mock up the cable shifter tomorrow, build a bracket for it, and then it's pretty much done other than putting humpty dumpty''s interior back together. :cool:
20170729_183113.jpg

Back