• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best welder for building bumpers

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a welder, preferably Mig and want some advice as what to buy. I have a dedicated 230V receptacle in my garage that isn't being used. I want to build my own bumpers out of 3/8" steel, I also will be making knives and forging Damascus steel. Thanks in advance. My budget is around a grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say Craigslist for a Miller 2xx series machine, but there doesn't appear to be much to choose from in your area.

Closest I can find is this: https://pensacola.craigslist.org/tls/5988107081.html

What you want is the Miller in the background. It is probably the replacement for the Lincoln. I would not buy the Lincoln without either a written agreement to a refund if it doesn't work right or the opportunity to use it on site for about an hour before agreeing to purchase it.

If you have time to watch C/L for a few months that would still be my choice.

Make sure you know what a tank and regulator is going to add to the price if the machine doesn't come with those. If you don't already have a helmet then add that to the cost too.

Looks like I'll just spend a bit more and buy a new Millermatic 211. I'd like the 212 but they are pricey.

Ok so a buddy just recommended a Hobart 210 MVP as well, would both applications serve me well? Pros cons?

Ok so I just bought the bullet and ordered a Miller Multimatic 215. I got it in a package deal and only have to buy shielding gas.

Because I'm an idiot. I kept thinking the diy jcr bumpers were made of way thicker steel than they are. I could have gotten away with a miller 141 but instead bought a beast welder. Oh well. I won't have to buy another one later down the road this way.

I have a 5 year old Miller 211 and I love it...not one problem or regret. I bet you'll feel the same about your 215.

Good choice on purchasing a name brand. I bought a used Lincoln, it is around 17 years old. I have no problem buying parts and accessories for it.

Back