• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Wiring and Parking lights issue

northernlightsfive

NAXJA Forum User
I had a hitch installed along with the wiring on my 99 classic about 6 months ago at an aftermarket store. I have only used the hitch a few times and noticed that the lights on the trailer worked, except for the running lights (when I put the headlights on in the cherokee), no biggie, I just didnt tow anything after dark. Recently I noticed my left side parking lights (front and rear, right side works fine) did not work, but the turn signals and brake lights work just fine. I replaced the bulbs and checked fuses and still no luck. I then noticed my hitch wiring had burn marks on the harness that plugs into the trailer harness. When I took off the left brake light, I saw the person installed the wiring by tapping into the left factory brake wires (one wire went to the right side rear brake light). After researching a little more, I noticed that the cherokee requires the wiring with the "black box", but I could not find anything installed on mine. I searched the forums and found similiar issues to a bad ground, but I think this may be more then that, any suggestions?

Yes you have to have the converter box,Jeeps dont use a 3 wire lighting system!

you can get a no splice "t" connector from napa. it just plugs inbetween the wire harness behind the spare tire in the cargo compartment. easy as cake to do- took 10 minutes for me including testing and putting spare tire back up.

Thanks for all the feed back. I went and got the new correct wiring kit and will install it tomorrow. I still have no clue as far as the marker lamps not working (left side only) but the blinkers and brake light still works, even changed the bubls. I might have to take it in to the shop.

langer1 said:
My so called black box is built into the trailer plug.

you need to wire a 6 or 7 lead socket on the truck if you want to run a converter on the trailer. (5 wires actually but there are no good 5-wire plugs).

Personally I'd prefer to have the electronics in the dry/protected inside of the car vs out on the trailer anyway. Of course if you already have a 6-7 lead jack on the truck then its a good way to go.

Back