• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ or upgrade to newer Grand Cherokee?

raypla

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I'm facing a small dilema, I currently am driving a 99' sport XJ w/108K and it runs like a top. No serious problems. But heres my major malfunction, my father goes to me
"Your uncle Chuck (the same 1 I bought the XJ from 2 yrs ago VGC) is going to be trading in his Grand Cherokee (03,04 w/ give or take 30000K lease) soon maybe you should buy that"
I have a Banks header, Fastman TB, Magnaflow exhaust, waiting to be installed in my XJ. Haven't had the time w/ hunting season and all.

Pros about the XJ: 1) I ALREADY own it, 2) I ALREADY own it,3) no ABS 4) I already have quite a few upgrades done to it (Edelbrock shocks, new water pump, etc.,etc)

Cons about the XJ: 1) ALOT of road noise,2) little things are starting to go wrong,3) small rust spots are starting to show up here and there etc., etc.
4) the ride sucks, even w/the fantastic shocks.

Pros about the Grand: 1) Its about brand new 2) it still has the 4.0 I like so much 3) little more reliable (not that I've had a problem so far) 4) no body rust what so ever 5) I'd get it for a good price (lease buyout)

Cons about the Grand:1) I'd have to have a car payment again :( 2) I'd have to have a car payment again :( 3) ABS

I had a couple of truck payments before $250-400 no fun. I bought my XJ for $5500 cash, so for the last couple of years I've had no loan payments at all :).

Sorry for the lengthy post but I just got engaged and I am trying to stay occupied till bedtime :) :)

Please give me your opinions and sugestions. He is a very meticulous and carefull with his vehicles.

I Know I could use the Fastman TB, but I'm not sure about the header and catback. Any info. on this would be appreciated. Thank You for sticking through my babling like an idiot I am just torn.

I've been doing a lot of research on used Grand Cherokee's primarily because my XJ doesn't have it in it to tow my boat to the mountains. Do some research before you dive into the Grand Cherokee. Here are some cons: 1. Suspension mods seem to cost more, ie. lift kits, 2. You now have a new vehicle that you have to worry about scratching, denting, etc. 3. The resale value on the 4.0L Grand's is horrible. Go on autotrader.com and price them out. They are about 30-40% less in value than an equivalent V8 grand, but when new, they nearly cost the same as the V8 version. Lease buyouts typically aren't favorable for the buyer. On the positive side, you would have a nice and practically new ride.

Last edited:
Geesh how big of a boat do you tow? I tow a 16' bass boat all day up some pretty big mountains at highway speeds w/my 4.0 XJ no problems. I would be buying out his lease and I prefer the 4.0. Thanks though those type of things is the stuff I like to see pointed out.
I think I'd be able to pick it up 4 $10-15,000.

Last edited:
The JGC trans is weak (unfortunately not the AW4 that XJs use) and IIRC, only the D35 came with ABS? (or is that just early ones?)

raypla said:
3) no ABS

Why is this an advantage? I have an ABSed XJ and, as much as pulling the motor fuse for dirt is getting old, I'll take ABS on pavement over assisted brakes any day.

4) I already have quite a few upgrades done to it (Edelbrock shocks, new water pump, etc.,etc)

And you couldn't do the same things to a WJ because...?

Cons about the XJ: 1) ALOT of road noise,

It's an XJ. They all do that.

2) little things are starting to go wrong,

Such as? I'm a firm believer in fixing small stuff when it shows up; if it lasted for 108,000 miles, a proper fix should hold for at least that long.

3) small rust spots are starting to show up here and there etc., etc.

Where? Anyplace that Jenolite can't help?

4) the ride sucks, even w/the fantastic shocks.

It's an XJ; they all do that. And shocks are not necessarily the largest part of the equation in this case.

Pros about the Grand: 1) Its about brand new 2) it still has the 4.0 I like so much 3) little more reliable (not that I've had a problem so far) 4) no body rust what so ever 5) I'd get it for a good price (lease buyout)

Sounds about right all around.

Cons about the Grand:1) I'd have to have a car payment again :( 2) I'd have to have a car payment again :( 3) ABS

3) above notwithstanding because I've already asked why ABS is so evil, 2) seems like the biggest issue. If it comes solely down to finances and buying it would kill you financially... Don't do it. It's that simple.

I Know I could use the Fastman TB, but I'm not sure about the header and catback. Any info. on this would be appreciated.

As would any info on what the hell these are, exactly.

Looking at this objectively, you're going to trade an XJ for a WJ with the same drivetrain (mostly), but greater weight. WJ aerodynamics are better than XJs, but not by a lot - at best this is a zero-gain proposition, particularly where towing is involved.

My opinion would be to keep the XJ and live with chugging over steep hills (usually mitigated by manually-shifting the AW4), but that's just me. You'll have to live with whatever vehicle you choose for x number of years, so ultimately it's your call.

A 4.0 WJ is heavier, slower, less reliable, and has faster depreciation (especially now the WK is on the road), so I see it as a lose lose proposition. The XJ is much more fun to drive and agile around the corners.
Save your money and fix the rust spots, fix the little things you said have gone wrong (it's better if you don't let them accumulate), convert all your suspension bushings (including the swaybar bushings) to urethane units, and shove a 4.6 stroker under the hood to give it the kind of grunt even a WK 5.7 Hemi can only dream of.
small.A9DFB5LA1GZW1.jpg

270hp@4950/327lbft@3750, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.6secs :D
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

Forever in the s__t. It's only the depth that varies!

If you already own the XJ outright, but want to keep it to build and because it is fun, why don't you do that and still buy the WJ?

That way you have an XJ in the drive for fun and a WJ in the drive for everyday.

That said, I wouldn't buy the WJ unless I could pay cash for it, but that is just the way I manage my finances. If you are comfortable with a car payment...buy it and keep the XJ.

Two Jeeps are better than one...and in my case now, three Jeeps are better than two!!

I agree with Dr. Dyno…it sounds like you have a good handle on the thought process. The JGC is newer but more expensive and it sounds like that is the only real issue. If you’re getting married you DO NOT need a payment. right now. At 108k the XJ is barely broken in. Fix the little stuff and keep it for another 200K or so.

Well I think I have a handle on it (today) but I love how agile and fun my XJ is to corner and drive and now that Dr Dyno has pointed out that the WJ is how ever much heavier, the 4.0 will not be as fun to drive.
Well I guess my mind was pretty much made up before I had even posted this but thanks for reminding me, I will just fix the small things, leaking floor on my drivers side, and excute my performance upgrades.

Banks header, Magnaflow Catback, Fastman 62 mm Throttle body http://www.thefastman.com/Throttlebodies40.asp, K&N FIPK (I like that nice clean look)
As much as I'm doing the mods for more HP 1 of my main reasons for purchasing all of this stuff was 4 better MPG, figure it will pay itself off in about 10 years. Ha :)

When I typed the original post last night, my girlfriend oopps Feonce, was busy telling all of her friends the big news and I just really needed to stay occupied to keep my sanity, and it was an issue that had crossed my mind.

Thanks everybody for helping makeup my mind for sure though.

I like owning and Not having a Payment

Sounds like you have it figured out...

Having had a 4.7 WJ, yes it's a nice Jeep, and wheels pretty well (I liked it better than the ZJ off-road). The XJ isn't as refined, but it's a lot more fun to drive, and my impression is that the 4.0 XJ is just as quick as the 4.7 WJ (maybe even a little quicker off the line).

Then think about this:

XJ 4.0 - average 18-22mpg
WJ 4.7 - average 14-16mpg

Where the V8 WJ really shines is climbing mountain highways with a big load, and towing. That's about it. The 4.0 WJ just doesn't get it done at all.

Now your'e thinking straight...keep the XJ...throw a few bucks (which will be way less than the cost of the WJ) in it, it will prob. last another 108k,and you won't be car poor, which is a good way to be entering into a marrige. Good luck and congratulations.

We have a 92 XJ (176K) and a 98 ZJ (105K). Both have the 4.0, but the XJ is a lot quicker. On the other hand, the ZJ is a lot roomier, holds more hockey equipment, and rides better. It's good to have both :).

I would do a WJ but not a ZJ (again). Mind you, I would modify the trans with XJ parts and run the Toyota 6 speed auto from a Lexus (that is if the A340 bell is the same design as the 6 speed)
The main reason the XJ moves better than a ZJ or WJ with the 4.0L isn't the weight factor but the crappy Mopar trans used sucks power away from it!

I have a 90 XJ, bone stock, except for an I-6 4.0 engine replacement at 179,000 miles(mechanic boo-boo). She now has 282,000+ miles, 2nd engine rebuilt at 270,000 or so miles, no tranny or transfer case replacement/major work, since birth. Still has original paint, wheels/ tire size, interior and no body rust. Except for rear tailgate replacement due to (the other stupid driver) rear end collision accident, no body work needed. It's a tank, you can't kill it...just want to get it to 300,000 so I can write Damitall Chrysler and tell them I did it. After that, I intend to retire it from daily driving and let it do service work(winch and plow, roadside service vehicle) and buy another Jeep. Maybe newer XJ, or a Commander...hmmm. My point is, never say die to an XJ; just fix it and put it back on the road.

Don't get me wrong, I like Grand Cherokees. I have a 99 WJ (or is it the wife's?), 110, 000+ miles, and going strong. But for off-roading, 4-wheeling and daily driving, I'll take an XJ any day...

Jeep, there's only one.

BD
Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains

Between the two, the pros and cons really come down to comfort verses payment. Is it worth a payment for the extra comfort you get. For me, I wouldn't take on a payment just to gain some road comfort, but Im a simple man with simple needs.
Now if you have indications that the XJ is going to start nickle and diming you, maybe its time for a change before you end up throwing money into the XJ. If you feel that the XJ has many good miles left in it, then it is simply about comfort.

I only have 2 XJ's and one ZJ. All with the 6. The 92 is the best and most fun to drive. I did drive a WJ with the 6 and was really impressed compared to the ZJ.

I took one look under the hood of a Grand and looked at all the stuff underneath. I'll stick with my XJ with a straight 6. Plain old pipe racks. Easy to work on and lots of things I can put on it. Its a lot lighter too. I think the Grand is a,too much SUV. You know, buy one becasuse everybody else has them but never leave the pavement. Just my 2 cents. Robt.

Back