• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ Death Wobble

TMiller49er

NAXJA Forum User
I beagn Having this problem when i hit a pot hole at speed's 55mph and above, later I installed a 3" kit complete with new Track Bar (heard this was most likley the cause) and new rancho steering stableizer. I have 30" tires had them balanced twice. I still have the problem, It makes for a very tense driving experience (got to watch out for every pothole) Any advice would be appriciated Just want it fixed.

There is no deffinate single awnser. Do a search for death wobble (the search button is at the top) and you will find more info than you ever wanted to know.

My advice is first go though the whole front suspension and make sure everything is nice and tight, try to check for worn bushings ect. If you can't find anything I would suggest just rebuild the whole front suspension. Replace bushings in everything, control arms, trac bar though you said that was new so it maynot be neccessary. Check the bolt holes for them being wallowed out. I'm in the process of tracking down a front end wobble on mine to no avail. I'm down to the steering system and upper control arms. I've replace the lower contol arms (bushings) trac bar hubs (which were shot) U-joints (also shot) steering stab. It may seem expensive but I would just bite the bullet ifyou are still running Stock control arms and buy a whole replacement set from quadratec.

If nothing in the suspension cures this I'm going to replace my whole steering linkage.

after doing the search which is a good idea , besides the bolts , have a good tire dealer check the tires for balance, when i first got my jeep at 55 it was like it was flying apart , needed some tires anyway. replaced them and not a problem sence .. old ones had a missing weight on them you could see where it was at , at one time

Back