• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chopper carrying 7 soldiers crashes in Texas

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
(My thoughts go out to all involved. Glenn)

Chopper carrying 7 soldiers crashes in Texas

Monday, November 29, 2004

BRUCEVILLE-EDDY, Texas (AP) -- A helicopter carrying seven soldiers from Fort Hood crashed early Monday in Central Texas, a military spokesman said.

The Blackhawk helicopter went down in foggy weather near Interstate 35 just south of Waco, Fort Hood spokesman Dan Hassett said.

There was no immediate word on injuries or casualties. Hassett did not know what kind of mission the helicopter was on.

Fort Hood officials were on their way to the scene, he said.

Even 'peacetime' operations aren't without their hazards. My thoughts go out to those involved as well...

The crashes always bring back some bad memories.

My brother was in the field several years ago and broke his leg during a fall trying to get to a hilltop with his unit. He was taken out by bird, but the rest of his unit stayed in the field.

Well, two days later when the exercise later, the unit was being flown out and two birds went down, killing my brother's CO and PSG. Scary shIt that he was supposed to be on their bird.

Fergie

Very true, makes one realize how lucky they can be at times.

I had (sorta) similar experience. The UH-1 dropped off the SAR Team I was on for a training mission on a remote hilltop. They never came back for us.... was a very long afternoon. Our mission was to locate and package a patient, then move to and establish an LZ. We did so, but never could raise the helo. Turns out, after it dropped us off, the transmission blew up and the thing crashed. That short time turned in to a long afternoon/evening.

We where later picked up by another helo, but that eerie feeling stayed with me for a while. I do not quite look at helicopters the same these days. But man, was I feeling lucky.

As far as the Blackhawk in the news, it is not looking too good. :( Hope Kris checks in with us.
Glenn
Fergie said:
The crashes always bring back some bad memories.

My brother was in the field several years ago and broke his leg during a fall trying to get to a hilltop with his unit. He was taken out by bird, but the rest of his unit stayed in the field.

Well, two days later when the exercise later, the unit was being flown out and two birds went down, killing my brother's CO and PSG. Scary shIt that he was supposed to be on their bird.

Fergie

Yucca-Man said:
Even 'peacetime' operations aren't without their hazards. My thoughts go out to those involved as well...
Very true. I do not have the stats near me right now. However, Military Operations, even in peace time are quite dangerous.
Glenn

Glenn said:
Very true. I do not have the stats near me right now. However, Military Operations, even in peace time are quite dangerous.
Glenn
For some reason I recall it being in the woods of a soldier a day during "peacetime" activites.

Fergie

Fergie said:
For some reason I recall it being in the woods of a soldier a day during "peacetime" activites.

Fergie
On average, could be about right. Between all of the Armed Forces.... the continued training that goes on every single day.

I remember more than enough examples from when I was in the service. It was not uncommon, however, it is always unwelcomed. Yikes, just thought of a few bad ones. Sympathies to the families.
Glenn

I remember a couple of HS buddies I ran into out in perl harbor, I was on a fast attack at the time, both were on the kitty hawk. They told me that on an average deployment they loose 8-10+ flight deck crew, sucked into engines, walk into props, blown overboard, just vanish, etc...and thats on a good deployment....
Then I spent 3 days on a carrier doing local ops, flight deck was hectic and controlled mayhem during the day and positively terrifying at nite.... I did not move more than an arms length from the door on the base of the island that I walked out of and was back thru 3 minutes later and they thought I was nuts for being on submarines...

Back