• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trailer lights

low_life

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I cant find exactly what I'm looking for. I have an 89 xj that I installed a hitch on to to pull my utility trailer with. Is there anything special I need to do to wire the jeep to my trailer? I've saw taillight converters and other things listed on advance auto web site but Do I need anything other than my four wire pig tail?
Thanks for anyones input
Scott

Unless your trailer is unusual and it has the same lighting scheme as your XJ, you will need a converter. The XJ has independant lights for turn and brake. Most trailers have a single filament that is shared for the functions; therefore, a converter is needed. I have the OEM installation on one of mine and a converter from Walmart on one of the others.

PaulJ said:
Unless your trailer is unusual and it has the same lighting scheme as your XJ, you will need a converter. The XJ has independant lights for turn and brake. Most trailers have a single filament that is shared for the functions; therefore, a converter is needed. I have the OEM installation on one of mine and a converter from Walmart on one of the others.

converter??

Anyways, go to kragen, pep boys, auto zone or any place like that and ask for a trailer T connector for your vehicle. It's looks and hookups vary (I think throughout the years there were at least 2 styloes) but all it requires for you to do is to pop the rear drivers side panel in the cargo area, disconnect an existing connector, plug a T in between and run the wires to the outside (rear quarter panel on the bottom should have either a plug or a grommet for that use) and you're set.

PM Martin, he provided me with the correct part number for my 89

Remi is correct it is called a Tee Connector & is made by Reese

Tom, I had to do some looking to find the part number.

For those new guys you will find no catalog will list the 90 and earlier XJ with one of those "tee" connectors. Plenty of tee connectors for the 91 and later XJs. It looked like I had to buy the univeral and splice it in. I did that with one of the independent converter boxes. I wanted to prevent electrical system damage by a bad trailer wiring system.

One day I was on the www.NAPAonline.com site and found they have a lot of stuff for XJs. Napa sells

* Tail light assy
* Front turn signal lens assy
* Front side marker assy

I also found they sell the no splice converter for the trail lights. You just disconnect the tail light harness from the chassis harness then connect the "tee" fitting and reassemble. This one uses tail light circuit power instead of electrically isolating the trailer from the vehicle harness by a direct power line form the battery. I used the kit on my XJ but wired it into my previously installed isolation coverter box with a direct power line from the battery.

Balkamp BK 7551577 Trailer Wire Harness Adapter - Tow Vehicle

Either order it on line or try your local napa dealer but it is the only one that will fit my 88 XJ and I am 100% sre it will work on your 89 XJ.

Thanks for all the info. I was hoping to have this done this weekend, my local
napa closed at around 12 today( while I was at work). I picked up a universal
converter at advance and I'm gonna see how that goes. Some one in previous years has been in it and hacked the wiring on the drivers side at the tail light. It appears there is some sort of converter there now but it looks to be in pretty bad shape. Also some one hacked into the turn signal on the right side and ran a wire from the turn signal all the under the jeep and inside the left quarter panel. Right now I'm just having fun sorting throw all the splices!
Again, thanks for all of you guys help.

Scott

Back