• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wiper motor clicking but not turning - Installed napa motor same thing

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
1991 XJ Briarwood.

Rear washer works fine. Turn on the wiper and the relay just clicks. Got new wiper motor and relay from NAPA and it does the same thing. Getting 12vish from the brown wire but no where else. Anyone help out? Thanks

On my 99, the wiring harness that goes from the hatch to the main passenger compartment is frayed really bad. I think the only thing that works is the license plate lamp.
I'd start there.

Symptom of not being able to carry the current so.....
dirty connection in connectors, bad ground, partially burned wires.

I even had a wierd one on my '84 where the circuit breaker for the front wipers had tripped because the wipers were on when shutting down and glued by ice when I restarted. The circuit breaker did open and save the motor but when it reset it wouldn't carry the current. It tested "good" meaning it had continuity but it wouldn't pass enough current for the wiper to run. (just a story you might find good food for thought)

Back