• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust Repair in roof....and other places

MaxxTraxx

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I am about to jump into my project XJ....the biggest issues is rust on the jeep. both rocker panels are shot, soft spots in the floor under drivers feet and R. rear passengers, soft spots around trim areas inside in the back. soft spot on the roof, a few inches centered above the windshield as well. how's the best way to repair the roof? sand it down, then fill with an epoxy like JB weld? or a bondo type body filler? or 'glass it? As far as patch panels go in the floor, use what, 16g? and cut to fit?

I have never done rust repair before so I need detailed insturctions.

THESE JEEPS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR RUSTING UP BY THE WINDSHIELD IF YOU ARE WANTING TO DO IT RIGHT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE WINDSHIELD IF THE RUST GOES UNDER THE WINDOW MOULDING ON THE TOP AND IF IT DOES THE BEST BET IS TO REMOVE THE OLD SHEET METAL AND WELD NEW METAL IN THEN HAVE THE WINDSHIELD PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED . IF YOU DO NOT REPAIR ALL THE RUST WHERE THE WINDSHIELD FITS IN IT WILL LEAK SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOLID METAL THERE . JASON.

yep, itty bitty rust spot right at/under the top center windshield moulding....arrggghhh....ok...floors? anyone? grind down, cut the bad spots out, put in new patch panels? 16g?

Back