• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need alternator,01 xj, meen green?

Excellent. I appreciate the pics, looks pretty easy to get it to fit. My friend's 96 Limited ZJ with 5.2 also has this same alternator, thought that was odd since it says 97-98. But either way since I know that part number is definitely 136 amp it should be easy to find the right alternator from here on out!

i dont recall having to take that much off of the steel bracket. i did mine with a dremel and took off just enough to fit. i left mine a bit snug to keep as much integrity to the brace as i could

My friend's 96 Limited ZJ with 5.2 also has this same alternator, thought that was odd since it says 97-98. But either way since I know that part number is definitely 136 amp it should be easy to find the right alternator from here on out!

i have now gotten in the habit of taking part #s in when i do upgrade parts (like the alt upgrade, rear disk parts, oil filter etc). that way i know exactly what it is that i am getting. the specific years, engine, trans, options for all the different parts can be a pain for me to remember so now i have an excel spread sheet with part numbers for just about everything that i have done to her. now its just a quick glance at the list, jot down the part # and i am off NAPA.

UPDATED: The part number I used was the Reman DURALAST 13387 with 7 groove pully from autozone.

2479297360087602441S600x600Q85.jpg

Stewie, as you can see by this picture I did take a bit more off than I would have liked. All the trial and error for the big aluminum bracket got me in a hurry to finish and I errored to the large size when I cut this bracket. Everything still bolted on solid. I have drove it over 200 miles since then with no problems. If anything, there is more room for air to cool the alternator down when driving. Though that can be twisted to say more mud and water can get in the alternator as well.

thanx for the help. it looks like quite a few others will get help from this thread too......now back to me, it always takes me too long to get around to doing anything, especially if it involves modifying something, so i want bolt-in and have the $400 to spend. the meangreen puts out more amps and i would hope is more suited to my offroad needs for 400bux!? are they not that good, or is it the expense that made u guys search for some other option?

Its the expense mainly. I honestly dont think you will need more than the 136A from the Grand Cherokee unless you have 10 rally lights or something crazy like that. $400 is hard to swallo for most of us.

Some do the swap from a junk yard part for $30. I had to pop for a remanufactured one due to my alternator dieing last week. My jeep is my daily driver so I had little time to source a junk yard or aftermarket part. I just stumbled across this thread while looking for a diagnosis (I figured it was the alternator but was making sure) and figured it was better to upgrade for the extra $20 over the stock unit. I also added pics since some were asking how much to trim off the brackets and such. I figured while I was there I could help some fellow jeep owners out.

i think it awesome that NAXJA has so many brothers/sisters that can help each other out . that's why i belong. i am never trying to slam anybody here.i'm not rich, it's jus that once in awhile i have a little extra cash from some overtime or bonus from work, (have no kids, so that helps me). i got my rig in '02 and daily drove it 4-5years. now i drive a toyota YARIS for economic reasons. i PROUDLY display a NAXJA sticker on my yaris, sum mite think it g@y, i figure/hope a fellow NAXJAer will see it and figure out that maybe i have an xj at home in the garage :) .i do appreciate all the help wit my questions.

i think it awesome that NAXJA has so many brothers/sisters that can help each other out . that's why i belong. i am never trying to slam anybody here.i'm not rich, it's jus that once in awhile i have a little extra cash from some overtime or bonus from work, (have no kids, so that helps me). i got my rig in '02 and daily drove it 4-5years. now i drive a toyota YARIS for economic reasons. i PROUDLY display a NAXJA sticker on my yaris, sum mite think it g@y, i figure/hope a fellow NAXJAer will see it and figure out that maybe i have an xj at home in the garage :) .i do appreciate all the help wit my questions.

My thought exactly. That's also why I've been a member for years. I've got the Mean Grean. Installed in my first '01 with no problems. Worked great running all the accessories. I removed it from the squished '01 (cause it was $400 and only on my truck for maybe a year!) prior to it being carted off to the crusher. BUT, I just got another '01.....:viking:....and it's likely going in there......AND you do have to grind. Just like those pictures on the previous page or so. I only remember grinding the aluminium mount, not the steel one.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Read through this whole thing and didn't notice it being addressed. I have a 01 XJ sport and I went with a ZJ 136A alternator. My stock alternator has a weatherproof plug and the ZJ just has 2 small threads. Any idea if it matters which wire goes where? To make it work I just pulled the back guts off and hooked it up on the 136a to ensure I could still plug it in. Curious if that might hurt it's performance.

Read through this whole thing and didn't notice it being addressed. I have a 01 XJ sport and I went with a ZJ 136A alternator. My stock alternator has a weatherproof plug and the ZJ just has 2 small threads. Any idea if it matters which wire goes where? To make it work I just pulled the back guts off and hooked it up on the 136a to ensure I could still plug it in. Curious if that might hurt it's performance.

Output of the alternator is largely determined by the windings in the field and the armature - which you didn't do anything with when you changed the back half of the case.

There are (should be) three threaded studs on the back of the alternator now. One, as before, is the battery output post. The other two are the ends of the field coil - and they're not polarised, so it doesn't matter which wire goes where.

If there's another wire, it should be a case ground, and you can just attach it using a convenient screw.

Note that you're going to want to upgrade your wiring to take full advantage of the alternator upgrade (it's also a fused circuit, that's part of what you need to upgrade. The rest is because the OEM wiring is "just enough" for OEM output...) and if you hit me backchannel, I may be able to help you there.

j33pownr thanks for the pictures and part number. My alternator is it's way out. It seizes from time to time (if I don't drive the truck) so I am looking to upgrade while replacing.

The pictures you posted helped a lot.

:cheers:

OK, I just installed my new 136 amp alternator today. Complete with 2/0 wire from selarep (They're Awsome!) Now, the only thing I have to do is put the belt back on. The problem is the new stock length belt I bought won't fit.
Anyone that did this swap have a part number for the longer belt? OR, did the stock belt work? My rig is a 96 with air and auto transmission if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hey Aaron,
This is selarep.
I did the swap and used my stock belt. Try loosening or tightening the adjustment pully and see if it'll fit. My rig is a 97 (almost exactly like yours).
Thanks!

Do you still have the stock belt?
You could compare them. Or look on rockauto.com to see if you have the right part number.

I think I checked to see if they were the same length before I threw it away, but I don't remember if I looked that close. I'm going to the parts store tomorrow and just getting a few longer belts to make sure I have one that works.

Just checked the part number it is the correct one for the jeep. I also looked up the belt routing to make sure I had it right, and I did.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

Last edited:
Back