• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/T's in the rock gardens?-welded beadlocks

pataterchip

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to pick up a set of almost brand new BFG A/T's 33x12.5x15's and a set of eagle alloys with 4" back spaceing for $250 what does the community think about A/T's on the light/easy trails. I am running 34"x10.5" swampers now. My question is this, I want to weld on the beadlock plate to the steel rim I have the swampers and run them for the heavy trails and jeep runs.
How have the welded beadlocks worked out for everyone else?

KarlVP said:
At's will do fine on light trails.

I have run AT's for 6 years on some of the hardest trails in Colorado. They are probably the preferred tire in Moab.

Other than mud, the AT's work wonders and will take a severe beating. AT's routinely get over 50k miles.

BFG A/T's do awesome in the rocks wet or dry. My dad runs 35's on his CJ7 and he never has problems with them, they actually did better than lots of M/T's in the rocks from what I saw. He only has a rear detroit and open front and he was making things look easy compared to some guys locked front and rear with M/T tires. I wanted him to get M/T's but after seeing those A/T's hook up so good on the Rubicon while it was down pouring rain I think they were a better choice. He does not play in the mud really and drives it on the street for fun sometimes. If you like deep thick mud stay away from them, they are better than normal tires but not near as good as a good M/T.

I run that exact same BFG tire and love it! Whats strange is that I have a set of 34x10.50 Swampers that I play in the mud with. lol The BFGs are great road tires. This is my second set. The first ones run a good 50k

lowrange2 said:
Thats good to hear since I have a set that I'm welding together now! :)

After you get them all welded and painted put a bead of silicone on before clamping them together to help the tires seal better. I also put a bead of silicone on the inner lip as well.

Back