• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bendix ABS Recall Questions...

emohn

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks,

Let me start out by saying this this forum (and organization) are a great resource for XJ owners and I'm glad to have found it. I recently picked up a 1990 Cherokee Limited for what I believed - and still do believe - to be a great deal at around $850. It's got 179k and seems to be in great running condition with two notable exceptions. First, and least important is that the power steering pump is out, but that's nothing new to me (my 85 XJ went through two of them while I owned it). The second problem is a new one to me, but thankfully a familiar one around here. My '90 is cursed with the troublesome Bendix 9 break system, and it seems that it's failed again.

According to searches run at the dealership on my VIN, the recall for the ABS system has been completed on my Jeep at least once, if not twice. My symptoms seem the same as many others who've experience problems withe the system - very stiff pedal effort, and too little braking. Of course, my "Check Anti-lock" idiot light is on as well. The Jeep is driveable in it's current state, but just barely.

Now to the heart of my questions... I need to find some cold, hard facts on this recall (Recall #702) or the Warranty Bulletin that was issued to dealerships regarding it. I've read many times on here and over at Jeepforums that the ABS pump and accumulator were issued a lifetime warranty when the recall was made, and that other parts of the ABS system would be covered under a 6 yr, 100k warranty extension. Obviously with the mileage on my Jeep, I'm not covered on the other parts (wheel speed sensors, ABS computer, relays, etc), but I'm getting conflicting stories both online and from two different dealers on whether or not future work to my pump or accumulator would be covered.

The first dealership I talked to was able to confirm that the recall had been performed on my Jeep back in 98 and did admit that there was a lifetime warranty issued for portions of the ABS system. That's where the good news ended... they then went on to tell me that either the pump, OR the accumulator were covered, but not both (the service advisor couldn't remember which one). This left me in a position of having to pony up for a $75 inspection (basically pulling codes off the ABS computer) and hoping that whichever part was broken is the one that's covered.

The second dealership I talked to could confirm that my Jeep had been serviced under this recall at some point in time, possibly twice, but also could not tell me exactly what had been replaced. This is probably a good time to note that it doesn't matter how great of a deal a vehicle is... you should always get service records with it. This dealership told me that there was no such "lifetime warranty" that was created as part of the recall, but that when the recall was performed, both the pump and accumulator were covered in full.

So there's my dilema... I get the feeling that neither dealership is being completely up front with me (surprise surprise) or that it's at least been long enough since they've dealt with working on this system that they need their memories jogged. Is there ANY way I can get a copy of the actual Warranty Bulletin issued as part of this recall? Is there someone I can talk to a Jeep/DaimlerChrysler Corporate that can persuage my local dealerships?

OR...

Should I not worry about replacing this broken system with the same system that will break (not brake ;)) again and install a 96 non-ABS vacuum power assist brake system?

Sorry for the length of my post... I know I tend to ramble a bit, but I like to make sure all of my bases are covered in situations like this. I hope that some day I'll be able to repay the tech you guys bring to the table on this with write-ups of my own future projects or experiences.

Thanks in advance,
-Erik

Heres my $.02. I would drop the troublesome brake system for the 96 non-ABS. In my opinion brakes that break(sorry couldnt resist) often should just be replaced with a better system. The ABS may be usefull in some situations but I'd rather have reliable brakes.

Replace it with the 96 non-ABS system, and if you look around enough, you can do it for under $200.00....the 96 dual diaphram vacuum booster and the master cylinder work extremely well for your application. I made that conversion myself about a month ago, and I feel much safer with reliable brakes- good luck, and let us know what you decide to do-

Bret S Gray
90 XJ Laredo
3.5 RE Lift/Dana 44

From what I read and understand the pump and actuator are covered by recall #702. The accumulator and control module are not covered. Does your pump run at all? If not you should be covered under the lifetime warranty.

89cheroxj said:
From what I read and understand the pump and actuator are covered by recall #702. The accumulator and control module are not covered. Does your pump run at all? If not you should be covered under the lifetime warranty.

Correct. Been there done that on my 89 (owned since new). Lifetime wrrty only covers actuator and pump motor. Bad accumulator usually indicated by pump running too often. After pump pressures up it should not need to run for about two hits of brake pedal. Also indicated if it takes too long for pump pressure build up at start up. I changed my accumulator in 20 minutes. Depressurize sys by pressing brake pedal x50 w. ignition off. Unscrew accumulator w. pumblers strap wrench and another wrench to hold accumulator base fitting steady. I did not even need to bleed the brakes after but might be advisable.

Greg

I have a 91 with the same POS ABS system. . . Took it to the dealer because of problems, the previous owner had gotten the free fix, figured I'd get it as well. . . Wrong. . .

$90 to diagnose the system and tell me it wasn't a covered component, another $200+ for a wheel sensor (dealer only part, "only 10 left in the country, it will take a few days to get it in") total bill was over $400 and the whole system still goes into failure periodically. . .

I am pulling parts from a 95 (parts numbers are the same as for 96 per a reputable parts counter) and will replace the whole system soon.

But, If you decide to keep it, I should have a box of "AS-IS" components I'm willing to sell cheap. . .

I'll find out how much the dealer thinks they're going to charge me this week as my brakes failed this morning and according to the guy I talked to it's free and takes about two days. Anything that isn't covered they will give me an estimate on.

i'm looking at picking up a 90 with the ABS system too.. think i'll be pro-active and replace it before it gives me a hassle...

Spare Parts: RR sensor is almost new, I'd like to recover that cost ($200) if possible. But I did say "cheap" on this thread so, PM me an offer/trade on the box if you are interested. If not, I'll post it all under "For Sale" in a month or so after I get started and finished. . . Value is in the 4 sensors (dealer says now discontinued/no longer available) and control module ($450 new). I'll throw in the pump, actuator, accumulator, fittings and whatever else comes out as well.

Dropping my XJ off tonight at the stealership. I talked to customer service at Daimler-chrsbenzler and got a reference number and was told by them that the dealer will only perform the recall and is not authorized to charge anything at all or add parts/pieces to up the bill. The service mgr where I'm taking it to sounded somewhat dissapointed when I gave him the ref. number and the name of the person I spoke with. I'll post an update when it's done in case anyone else is considering doing this.

I'm having problems with mine and the scan tool said front sensor was defective. It was actually the tone wheels that where rusted. Pulled the plug on the ABM till new parts come in.

Just an update on my brake recall. They did all of the necessary diagnostic checks and all of the recall work including the shift interlock and it cost me absolutely nothing. Just be sure if you take yours in that they have the part in stock before you drop it off.

Back