• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good to be back in the XJ world, I think

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
About 8 years or so ago, I sold my 90 xj and bought a 95 yj. My daughter cried when I sold my xj. She's 16 now and has saved enough money from summer jobs and stuff to buy her own jeep. Today, we brought home her first car, a 2001 xj Classic. It's got a couple of issues that need to be fixed but that's part of what helped her get the car she wanted for the budget she had.

First on the priority list is fixing an oil leak coming from the valve cover. We'll replace the gasket tomorrow and while I'm at it, check the pcv valve and the oil pressure sending unit. At least, these were notorious culprits on my '90 that went hand in hand with blow by issues and spewing oil all over the valve cover making it look like the source of the oil leak. Am I off base here?

Second on the priority list is the AC isn't working. I'll start with filling the system and adding dye to look for leaks. It could be as simple as needing to be charged or it could be more complex. I'll get back to you guys on that.

Third, the windshield is cracked. no biggie. I'll just take it in to a shop and have them swap it out.

4th, the power windows only operate from the driver's door panel. IIRC, there's an easy fix by splicing the wires that operate the lockout button on the driver door panel. That should fix the other windows, but the driver door window doesn't work at all. Any ideas on that? Or do I just go through the steps of checking for current at the switch and then at the window regulator?

5th, the headliner is sagging - again, no big deal

Then, after all those are taken care of - my daughter wants a 3" lift and 31's. I have to admit, that was a proud moment for me when she asked if we could lift it!

If it was my daughter at 16, I'd show her how to use the floor jack for lifting the jeep, LOL. I wish you luck!!!:D

" I have to admit, that was a proud moment for me when she asked if we could lift it!"

Check the cylinder head for cracks, the 2000-01 have a crappy casting the usually crack. 0331 casting, Those 0331 with the mark TUPY are castings that fixed the flaw.
I think if you look through where the oil cap goes you can spot the TUPY mark, or possibly a crack with a little bit of radiator fluid.
Possible this issue was fixed long ago in this jeeps life. Hate to tell you something bad like this, hopefully it will not be a problem, maintained this could be a vehicle she keeps for a long time.

97 up Window switch has a few YouTube videos about fixing them.

It is amazing how many Cherokee are multi generational, either passed down parent (sometimes grandparent) to child or another is bought to continue the tradition. Our nephew is just nuts about our early 90s XJ, wants it for his first car, his mother isn't going to let that happen so if he wants an XJ for his first car it's got to have air bags. He at 10 years old has begrudgingly accepted this, with the demand we sell him our 91 when he graduates college so it can be his adult car and he can restore it.
Hopefully we got a few more years before having to worry about how to make a twenty year old Cherokee appear out of thin air in good mechanical condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit, that was a proud moment for me when she asked if we could lift it!

I know how you feel. I was feeling like I (and the SoCal chapter) at least did a couple things right when my youngest (Ethan) bought his 95.

Good luck with her/your project.

I would clean the engine bay really well before replacing gaskets

Power window might be child lockout

good call on cleaining the engine bay. I might discover even more leaks!

pretty sure the child lockout is the culprit for the other windows but not sure why that would effect the driver window not operating.

Back