• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 mj

95blackbetty

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm looking at 86 mj with the 2.8 v6 the motor is junk and needs a new one after a little research I've found that 2.8 isn't a good motor at all so I was wondering what would be a good swap for it what kind car should I look for

Get a 3.4 v6 from a 93-95 camaro. Essentially It was the last version of the 2.8 gm made, bolts right up,
You'll need a balanced flywheel and electric fuel pump other than that just bolt on all the 2.8 accessories and go.
Or even get the whole camaro engine harness and wire that in , several write ups on it.

Next biggest favor you can do for yourself if you keep the carburetor is to upgrade that to a Webber and possibly the intake manifold and go with a four barrel Holley

Last upgrade would be exhaust manifold but I don't think there are any around anymore

But whatever you do the 3.4 is the way to go, it's a direct fit and a much improved design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 on the 3.4. It needs to be the rear wheel drive version. Font drive engine blocks are different. (No RH engine mount bosses for starters) I'd recommend an aftermarket two barrel manifold with a Holley two barrel. Although i've heard good things about the webber setup.

There used to be a 3.4 crate motor GM sold for S10 and camaro owners, sadly no longer available. You might find a used motor out of one of those but the best bet is the 93-95 camaro or firebird.

The 2.8 has a bad reputation, and I agree it's under powered, the edelbrock intake and new carburetor help out a lot.
Personally my 2.8 went through hell and never quit, I've heard other stories of the same longevity.

The Weber DGES 38 kit is a good choice if you keep the OEM intake. If you do get this kit keep in mind the adapter is designed for the s10 engine bay so the bolt used for threading to secure the air intake need be shortened for the jeep

Edelbrock intake # 3785

Edelbrock 3787
Adapter plate can be used with Weber carburetor and I suppose Holley and OEM

Edelbrock 3789
Is the adapter for the 4 barrel Holley carburetor 8007 390 cfm

A few XJers have used the 93-5 Camaro/firebird ecu, intake, injectors and wiring harness.

Basically a good 3.4 with nothing else done , besides for needed to adapt it, will be a good choice to get on the road again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back