• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-Lift mounted under rear seat (how to)

Brent T

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finally got tired of having my hi-lift mounted to my hybrid cage. It was easy to get to up there, but I was always worried it would get stolen sooner or later. Also it kinda reminded me of some ricer with the big spoiler mounted on the back of his Honda. I decided to see if I could make it fit under the back seat. I knew of other guys who keep their hi-lift's under there, but every one I've seen is just thrown under the seat and isn't attached to anything. I don't like loose heavy stuff inside the Jeep in case of a wreck or rollover, so I decided to build a mount for it under the back seat. It's a tight fit, but with the baseplate removed from the jack and some maneuvering, it fits perfectly and looks almost factory. It's plenty sturdy and easy to remove the jack if the need arises. Total cost was about $6 and a few hours of my time.

Here's how it looked under the back seat before I started.
IMG_1090.jpg

I started with a 2" x 9 1/2" piece of flat 3/16" stock.
jackmount1.jpg

I used my high dollar metal bender to put some bends in to fit the contour of the floorpan underneath the seat.
jackmount2.jpg

I ended up with this.
jackmount3.jpg

I had to hammer down the hump in the floor about 1/4" to gain enough clearance for the jack to fit between the seat and the floor. It didn't take much. Then I laid the jack in place and center punched where I planned to drill the holes for the mounting bolts.
jackmount5.jpg

Next, I drilled holes in each end of my bracket to mount it to the floor, then drilled two more holes to align with those I had already drilled in the floor. I ran 1/2" x 2-1/2" grade 8 bolts through the center holes in the bracket and welded them in place. My welds came out fugly I guess because I didn't take time to clean up the steel. I'm not proud of how they look, but they'll hold.
jackmount4.jpg

With the bracket in place, I drilled two more holes in the floor to install the bolts in the end of the bracket which will hold it in place when the jack is removed.
jackmount6.jpg

After cutting the carpet for the bolts to go through, this it what I ended up with. Looks stock except for the two bolts sticking through the carpet.
jackmount7.jpg

After mounting the jack, I used 1/2" stainless wing nuts to hold it in place.
jackmount8.jpg

The seat sits down and latches just like it always did and you don't even know the jack is under there.
jackmount9.jpg

wow thats clean!!!! I think im gonna do this as well, however I will have to relocate my snatch block, winch controler, com-a-long, tree saver and gloves. Does the jack fit under the seat with the foot plate attached?

Nice work! That's definitely how i'm going to do mine. I hate putting free stuff on the outside of my car... :)

That is really cool, I haven't seen anyone mount it under the seat before. I hate the idea of them mounted up high and turning into projectiles.

I also just got the exact same work bench as I see in your pics! I just put it together today ha.

In my '89 the jack fit in place without any need to bolt it down.
With the seat locked down, the jack couldn't move on it's own.

Try that first, before you drill the floor.

Great mod though, and very well done.

Looks good. Mine is the 60" so it has to be outside. I saw one guy who made a simple bracket like yours that clamps it to the roof rack, then he drilled the bolts to fit a lock on it.

In my '89 the jack fit in place without any need to bolt it down.
With the seat locked down, the jack couldn't move on it's own.

Try that first, before you drill the floor.

Great mod though, and very well done.

It would have fit without bolting it down, but I don't trust the seat to stay latched in a hard roll. I'm one of those "what's the worst that could happen" guys and I try to prepare for that.

It would have fit without bolting it down, but I don't trust the seat to stay latched in a hard roll. I'm one of those "what's the worst that could happen" guys and I try to prepare for that.

I agree, better safe that get your head bashed in by a Hi-Lift Jack!

I've been upside down in an XJ and was glad the jack never made it to the front seat.

I know this is an old thread, but I'd figure I'd throw a new compliment your way. In many years of working on vehicles, I've never seen that before. VERY unique. I'm currently using my under seat for recovery gear, and an amp, as well as jumper cables, quick deflator, and some spare U-joints. I wish I had room for a high-lift under there too!

I know this is an old thread, but I'd figure I'd throw a new compliment your way. In many years of working on vehicles, I've never seen that before. VERY unique. I'm currently using my under seat for recovery gear, and an amp, as well as jumper cables, quick deflator, and some spare U-joints. I wish I had room for a high-lift under there too!

Thanks. I'm using some of the additional space for recovery gear and storage too. I have my snatch strap, a couple clevices, the factory jack and handle my CB antenna, jumper cables and a roll of TP under there. Still room for more, just haven't decided what all to keep there.

IMG_0503.jpg

Can you still fold the rear seat down, or will the wing nuts catch on the fabric? Thanks

Yes the seatback is fine. The cushion actually rests mainly on the trans hump, so there is still some clearance between the wingnuts / bolts and the cushion. No problems.

Back