• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

Hi I'm am doing this upgrade this week as I too am sick of this misfire I also just purchased the blue sea fuse pannel and gonna rewire all of my acceorys to this to remove all of the online fuses and birdsnest from my battery can I tie this timer to this fuse pannel? Also with using plane B with the switch means I can turn the fan on for the set time whenever I please. Is that correct? And the led goes from fan motor hot to a ground and that's it is that correct? Thanks for any help and al of u to make this Easier to understand can't wait to test it out and have fun doing the install as well thanks to all again!

With the momentary switch, yes you can just press it anytime for the fan to kick on and it will stay on for the time set on the timer. It will kick on by itself when it needs to as well. I'm not sure how it will work with a regular switch though.

Yes the LED is wired inline of the fan's power motor with one wire and the other wire goes to ground.

Cool thanks very much I will post up when I done let u guys know how I make out thank god for those diograms I was so lost when I first looked at them now I got down all in my head in stall should be quick just got to figure out where to put the swich and led

I am curious, if using fyrfytr1717's last daigram with the two relays ("pLan C"), so that the timer is triggered by the ignition off, if one can install a switch in addition to act as a manual over-ride - to turn the fan on when one wants? I was thinking this could be done on the wire running from the timer's output. In other words running an always hot (+12v) to the switch installing a diode between the switch and the timer's output. Then install another diode from the timer's output wire to ground and finally another diode close to the timer's output in series with it.
The reason for the diodes would be to protect the timer from any current feeding back from the relay to the timer. Sorry for digging up an old thread and my poor ASCII skills

+12V (constant)
|
|
switch
|
|
diode
|
to relay (86)-- ---------|-------diode---------timer output
|
diode
|
|
ground​

O.K. i know its been almost a year. but has anyone tried "plan C" and did it work?

I'd be curious to know as well...

If you just want to fix the hard starting problem. Vent the hood. No fan no relays no key off load on the bat.
A 3 min run may fix the starting problem but the engine will produce large amounts of heat for some time after key off. This heat shortens the life expectancy of many parts under the hood. A vent will keep working as long as it is needed
If you want to go the fan rout a timer/temp control system would be much better.
First wire it up to work with every key off.
This way it can't be forgotten.
If it's not needed the temp part of the control system detect that and not let the fan come on.
The temp control will also shut the fan down with the shortest run needed to cool the engine. Min bat load this way. The timer is a backup so the fan will never run the bat down. A bat voltage monitoring system would be one better then a timer and not that hard to wire up.
Wiring for every key off.
Us the low trigger to reset the timer.
you pull the low trigger high by taping any 12+ at key on and spice it between the low trigger (of the timer) and a 22k or higher resistor that is grounded. The 22k prevents this 12+ line from see a dead ground and melting it down. The line could be fused too. Once the key goes off the 12 volt goes dead and the low trigger of the timer goes low and reset the timer.
This should get it to work with every key off.

Last edited:
Digging up an old one, but I just ordered the timer and I'm going to hook it up so it comes on automatically when the ignition is turned off (with two relays, one 5 pin). I was thinking another easy way would be if you have electric locks, just trigger it with the lock signal from the switch/ remote button... When I get it hooked up I'll let you know how it works.

Got my timer in the mail today... I've been thinking about the wiring and I've decided that I don't want to use the 2 relay option for triggering it when the ignition is cut, because this will lead to the timer trigger relay itself being closed all the time, and drawing current. For this reason, I'm thinking something momentary will be much better. The timer came with some basic wiring ideas, and one of them is using the door/ dome light switch.

Does anyone know if the door switch is closed when the door is open (complete circuit when door is open)? If I tapped into the proper side of the switch, that would give me a positive trigger only when the door is opened. That will start the timer. On second thought, that would mean it would be trigger when entering the vehicle as well. Not quite what I want.
Maybe the electric door lock trigger would be good?

What do you guys think about the timer relay being closed all the time? The stated draw is 1.2mA for the trigger relay.
Any other ideas? I'm going to study the wiring options a bit more and see what I can come up with... For ideas, I've attached the wiring diagrams that are included with the timer.

scan0002xo.jpg

scan0003cq.jpg

scan0004ky.jpg

scan0004ky.jpg

Mine's set by the button. I push it, it turns on. It also turns on when it needs to at certain temps. I don't like the idea of having the door trigger it because it will come on when it's cold (when you enter).

Yeah, I'm starting to think a simple momentary switch may be the best and cleanest method, but I like the idea of it being automatic. I would still use a 3 way switch whatever trigger method I used, so I could toggle between manual on, auto on and ecu controlled only...

first let me thank everyone for the information on this thread it's awesome!

now onto the question. i got my timer, did a test wiring of it with a 9v battery and a little computer fan and it doesn't seem to be working correctly. I wired it the plan b way and when i push the switch it activates the led on the elk circuit board but not the relay for the fan. I'm pretty sure that the timer is supposed to close the circuit between the N/O and COM terminals when it is active, but that doesn't seem to be happening. if i manually jump between the two terminals the relay kicks on.

i triple checked my wiring and tried different switches which didn't work either.

I'm thinking that i have a defective timer. did anyone else have this issue?

I got my timer, did a test wiring of it with a 9v battery and a little computer fan and it doesn't seem to be working correctly.

The Factory literature states its operating voltage is 12-24 volts.
9-volts may be too low for it to operate correctly.
Try a 12-volt power supply before sending the ELK back.

yup i realized that this afternoon. instead of the 9v i used my car battery and the ELK is working fine.

thanks

Mine's set by the button. I push it, it turns on. It also turns on when it needs to at certain temps. I don't like the idea of having the door trigger it because it will come on when it's cold (when you enter).

How does it turn off? Are you still using the elk?

How does it turn off? Are you still using the elk?

The timer shuts the added fan relay off, at the preset amount of time.
My ELK is still working fine after 3+ years

This is something I need to tackle. Its just that electrical stuff irritates me. I've wired an efan into my old chevy pick up before, but this seems to have some added complications.

To make things easier I'm probably going to grab one of those fuse blocks from blue sea (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50523&subdeptNum=50549&classNum=50554)

Otherwise this is pretty simple? I run a switch/button, a relay, and program the elk? Do I still need diodes if I'm using that fuse block?

Might as well replacing the wiring on my battery while I'm at it.

Do I still need diodes if I'm using that fuse block?

My fan needed the diodes to keep the relay from back-feeling the XJ's electrical when the ignition is turned off.

VERY happy to report in my first go I got this all set up and working! I couldn't have done it without this thread and others. I went with the "plan c" wiring that is circling around a bunch of XJ forums. Its the 2 relay setup that switches the timer/fan on when you turn off the vehicle. I followed the diagram exactly as provided. So mega thanks to its original author (I think he is on CherokeeTalk?).

I've got one relay up in my engine bay with another relay I already had from my aux. lights. The second relay and timer are behind the glove box. It took me about 7 hrs start to finish but I am admittedly slow and not the best at wiring! Once it worked and I had to fine tune the timer, that took only about 15 minutes. I used the trick I read in here about setting it to 3 seconds, then switching the jumper. I settled on 2:30, guess I gotta wait till next summer to see if this solves my heat soak misfire!!

Anyways I am just all jacked up because I was dreading trouble shooting my expected problems. Thanks all!

Re: Re: How can I hook up an efan timer on a 2001?

VERY happy to report in my first go I got this all set up and working!

Wanted to report back that over the winter this mod got pretty annoying. I also realized doing any electrical work on the Jeep was quite a pain with the fan coming on every time I hit the key to test something or reconnected the bat-tree.

So today I installed a toggle switch just left of the radio, in the dash panel. I now turn my e-fan timer to "active" or "inactive." Works great.

Good luck to all getting ready to deal with heat soak as the temps warm up!!

Back