• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock tire size

k_kuch

NAXJA Forum User
I Just bought a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic, and have a few questions. I don't even have my licence yet, but I am planning on working on my new toy through the summer. The first thing I want is new tires. It has stock wheels and everything about it is stock. What are the largest tires I can fit without any problems? By the way I wanted some swamper trXus STS tires for it.

Being that your not driving your jeep yet, you may want to hold off on tires. If you have any intensions of lifting this jeep, you may want to do this first. A set of stock size swampers will probably not be to easy to sell if you decide to go bigger later. A cheap 2 or 3 inch lift will fit 30's or 31's and if you decide this still isn't tall enough later on, these tire sizes will be easier to resell to help finance your bigger tires. If your planning on driving in the conditions that swampers work good in you'll probably want to lift this thing at sometime in the future anyhow. Just my opinion, but hope this helps...

k kuch... Sorry I didn't notice the part were you want to run STS's. I'm pretty sure if you post your intended use for this jeep, you'll get some good advice from these guys on what tires will work best for you.

At what point will you need to change axle ratios? Might want to clue him in, if doesn't know already, a big change in tire diameter results in a big change in torque multiplication. Even simpler, if you put tires on that a lot bigger, you'll have less power and acceleration available.

I'm not sure, since I haven't done it, but going from stock 28" diameter to a 31" diameter tire I'm guessing would be noticeable, but NOT really cause a problem.

I plan a lot of road use, but living in NH I need a tire good in the snow. This is still a daily driver so there will not be to much hardcore off roading (but still some).

A good all terrain sounds like what would be best for you, since you'll wheel but then want a good snow/road tire.

BFG All Terrain. Check them out! You can fit 30 stock and then lift. Or lift first and decide what size you want. 31 or 32's on a 3", etc.

BFG all terrain will outshine the Trxus STS in almost every way. I live 20 miles from interco and I would like you to buy our tires, but you won't really be happy with them.

Back