• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ air conditioning evaporator leak?

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have heard that 97+ XJ have bad evaps, anyone heard this? Anyway both my brother (97 XJ) and I (00) have no AC. After countless refills with UV dye and searches in dark conditions, and no oil residue anywhere under the hood we are faced with the proposition of replacing the evaporators. I am holding out faith on the process of elimination even if I dont like the answer.

Well today I began to work on mine. Good God did DC make this a nightmare!! I have the whole dash out and stoped to add some AC tools to my tool box. When I get the fitting tools and 134 adaptors for my gauges I continue.

Does anyone recomend a good quality replacement evaporator so I dont have to do this three times (brother will want me to help him next)? I run a small shop on my off duty day, but I do not plan on doing this type of thing again for awhile. What would a dealer charge for this $1000?

I have an '01 XJ, had same problem. I ran the dye test and found the leakage to be evaporator. Also ran a sniffer test under dash at heater box, strong positive results. Used the Napa Max Cool replacement, been fine since. We'll see ten years from now. A/C repair shop quoted me $1000. The Jeep dealer guy chuckled at first, then said $1350. Did it myself.

Known issue, in all the vehicles I've owned over 30 years I have NEVER had an evap go bad till the jeep and with where it is and whats involved in replacing it I gotta wonder if it was on purpose...:passgas:
As for mine, it took 3 cans of dye for it to show up in the drip tube on the firewall but show up it did....

I started having issues last summer. After three cans of 134 dye I never found the obvious leak. I am working on the theory that it must be the evap since it is the only thing I cant see. Never did get any UV fluid from the drain hose. I've got the dash loose just waiting for the day to swap in the new evap and acumulator/dryer without leaving the system open for long. Needless to say I am very disappointed in the DC engineers even if this dash system quiets squeeks.
Angus

Back