• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't seem to solve steering wheel play

Alwaysdutch

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ with a fairly large amount of play in the steering unit. I constantly have to adjust during driving as I otherwise swerve over the road (and it ain't the alcohol).

I did a check on the steering gear and noticed that it leaked, so I replaced that with one from Autozone (maybe that is the problem). I also replaced three tie-rod ends and the steering damper in the hope that the play of the steering wheel would go away, but no luck.

i adjusted the thread on the steering gear, and while people say to do 1/8 of a round, I turned that sucker to the max possible, and still have about 2-3 inches of play. I can basically take the steering pipe in my hand and turn it by hand until it reaches the end of that 2-3" play.

Is this normal for the XJ?
Should I bring the steering gear back to Autozone and ask for another one? (damn, that was one messy job)
Can it be something else?

When you swapped out the steering gear did you prime the system again? It may have air in it. Past that make sure everything is tight, trackbar, shocks, steering box, basically anything up front.

Yeah I would check the rag joints in the steering column. Also, over tightening a box will wear it out so you might want to consider that adjustment that you made.

Overturning the steering gear will make it super twitchy too, right? At least that's what I remembered when I messed around trying to firm up my steering.

Not sure how much ball joints contribute to steering play, I've been chasing steering problems in our 92 for years.
One big part was the rebuilt gears were as bad or worse than the original. First improvement I saw was a used gear out of a 94. Still some play be a big improvement over all the other gears.
I also replaced literally ever piece of steering linkage.

Last fall I decided to get the ball joints done and put in a 98 grand Cherokee steering gear, also replaced a most of the steering linkage again. The good name jeep supply steering parts didn't hold up as well as advertised. Anyway replaced it all with Moog parts and Dana spicer ball joints. Drives like a Completely different jeep.

The only thing I had not replaced before was the ball joints so I'm wondering how much they can contribute to steering slop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the replies. It seems that the when I turn the steering wheel, the same amount of play is directly seen by the steering box, so I tend to think that the wheel itself is ok.

I am thinking to order a bushing kit Quadratec or similar to replace all the rubbers. I do have to say though, even when the Jeep is parked, and I turn the wheel to check for play, it's there without even seeing the tires move one bit.

I am going to bring the steering box back and compare it with another one they have to see if it also have play. If not, I am willing to put it in, otherwise I guess I pull more out of the wallet to get this fixed. Two things are majorly important; steering and brakes

Get a helper, extra eyes to hold the steering shaft at the box shaft outlet, and then turn the steering wheel to see how much of the slop, if any is not in the box itself. The see mark the steering box shaft with white out, or something to watch how much the box shaft turns before it gets tight and tries to move the tires, all with the engine off. That will isolate the real source of the issue.

I'm on my 4th steering gearbox, in a year. Blah. Original from 2000 developed an input seal leak and 1-2" of play.
First was an Autozone remanned, and it was horrible with 2-3" of dead space; undriveable.
Next up was a Lares from Rockauto, but the hose connections were stripped so it never got installed.
Third was a warranty replacement Lares from Rockauto, that was really nice but got progressively worse. Until after 6 months it gave up the ghost with 2" of play and leaking from the input seal.
I am now on a RedHead steering box that I installed yesterday, and it is great so far. Barely notice any dead space, maybe 1/2", and steering is tight.

I would sit in the Jeep and wiggle the wheel while another looked at the movement of the input to pitman arm, and any delay. I also clamped a visegrip to my intermediate shaft, put a jack handle on it, and held that while the other also wiggled the wheel to see if any actual intermediate shaft play was present.

Make sure all your joints/bushings are in working order (ball joints, center link, TREs) and properly torqued down. And that the steering gear bolts are torqued and have not tried to pull through the frame.

My 87 wagoneer got a rebuilt autozone gear box about 5-6 years ago. About 5000 miles on I suspect. It had about 1" of play to each side, about 2" total, which I was a little concerned about at first, but the rest of my steering is great and I can drive with hands off the steering at any speed for a considerable distance. It had a small output shaft fluid leak at first too, but some miles of use and Lucas Power steering stop leak seems to have stopped the leak. Still worry about it and check it.....I saved the old one to replace the seals my self if it ever gets to that. Old_man use to rebuild the Renix gear boxes but stopped when the seal kits were all bad....

Check to make sure the framerail where the steering box attaches is not flexing. Mine did until the steering box bolts broke and all steering was gone. Luckily it happened while slowly pulling out of the driveway. Could have been death if it had happened at speed.

The steering in my XJ and MJ were never sports car quality, but putting in a ZJ V-8 tie rod made a markable difference in the feel of my wheel. More solid, more responsive. Both got the heavier tie rod and the feel was immediate. After that I replaced all my TRE's, drag link, stabilizer ... but still running the stock gearbox on both. Now, no wobble, no vibes, no weird tire wear, acceptable amount of play.

The Jeeps are nothing like my Nissan, still truck like, but it runs straight and true on the road and still has the tightest turning radius of any vehicle I've ever owned

FWIW, I don't think cranking down the adjuster on the box is the recipe for more responsive steering. As a matter of fact, you'll likely toast the box...just sayin'

If the box is fine and you guys still have play you might want to look into this from one of our vendor supporters.

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/SBB-SSS.html

Also is your front track bar removed? The bolts on the mount help hold part of the front of the unibody together.

Check the steering shaft (located between the steering column and steering gearbox).

The section that is supposed to collapse has an injected molded rubber section that can become separated inside, causing excessive play.

Was that used in the 87-90 Renix GM columns?

regarding my prior post, my memory was off and the play in mine is maybe 1/2" each way, 1" total but other than that, the feel compared to older tighter steering I had in other cars, it gives me no problems.

Check the steering shaft (located between the steering column and steering gearbox).

The section that is supposed to collapse has an injected molded rubber section that can become separated inside, causing excessive play.

Was that used in the 87-90 Renix GM columns?

regarding my prior post, my memory was off and the play in mine is maybe 1/2" each way, 1" total but other than that, the feel compared to older tighter steering I had in other cars, it gives me no problems.
IIRC, no.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

IIRC, no.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I have never seem anything that looked like one on my 4 Renix rigs. But since I had seen one, I was not sure what it would look like LOL.

Thanks for all the input guys,

I replaced the steering box with another one from Autozone, and first feel is that it seems to feel more tight than the other one. I still have to flush and bleed it, so we will see.

i agree with all of you that there will always be more steering play on a Jeep than in my wife's Audi TT....ha. I did replace the track bar bushings and I ordered new set of sway bars from Quadratec. Only a few bushings are left after that.

My only concern left is that the pump made quite some noise after first startup last night, but hopefully after the flush it will be ok.

Thanks!

Back