• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing trans inverse torx bolts!?

SouthSeaPirate

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so shop apparently stripped them and werent even tightened.
Irrelevant really cause I wanna replace them anyway.
Issue is, I cant find the exact length. I bought a few to try, some 1/4 shorter, others a 1/4 longer than the stock ones. Also, what grade are the Home Depot bolts? Nowhere did it say their grade or strength. Can I assume HD zinc bolts will be strong enough?

Any input greatly appreciated!!!! Need asap

88523g03L.jpg

Look at the other bell housing bolts for grade markings, buy the same grade bolts for the top.

The Home Depot zinc bolts are typically used in construction and are not designed to be used in mechanical machines or the auto industry. The do have a selection specialty bolts in drawers both AF and metric threads of various lengths graded from 5 to 8. Take one of the original bolts there and compare them with they have.

Lowes also carry automotive type fasteners and have a larger variety. Ask an assistance to show you the drawers with the bolts you need.

I would in no way use a zinc bolt in my vehicle except in an emergency,....well maybe to hold the bumper on.

If you want the best, go with ARP!!!

Also, I don't remember if those bolts use washers or not, washers should be at least the same grade steel as the bolts used.

I suspect since they are threading into cast iron they are Grade 5 or 8.8 but I'm willing to be corrected. You'd pretty much use Gr8/10.9 with a similar grade nut or threaded into steel.

Most bellbousing bolts ive seen have been 8.8.

Mind you, they have been on transverse passenger car engines, so there may be a different standard.

Nope it's because a 10.9 bolt requires more torque to properly pre-load it so it doesn't unload if the load on it reverses and you don't want to risk ripping the threads out of the casting.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

The cast aluminum bell will shred before you shear or stretch a series of grade 5 bolts.

Unless you get flange bolt, use washers.

Tractor Supply sells grade 8 by the pound.

This ain't rocket science.

my point was that the Gr5 bolt will stretch more for a given torque than a Gr8. this is actually good because that stretch is what applies the clamping load to the bellhousing. Now if the transmission/engine assembly is loaded in compression WRT each other those bolts will relax slightly. But because they stretched more, they still will retain some clamping force. This is actually good for longevity so long as the clamping force is sufficient. Stresses that vary over a narrow positive range are better for longevity - in fact you can determine a range using steel where lifespan is essentially infinite (unlike aluminum, but that's a whole 'nother lecture) if that range is narrow enough, below plastic deformation, and always positive. Stresses that periodically go to zero or worse yet reverse (tension to compression and back - but you won't see that in a bolt application) are far worse, as is adding a shear component. You can get more clamping force from a Gr8 bolt without getting into the range where you risk plastic deformation, but you may run the risk of ripping the threads out of the cast iron block to achieve that torque as cast iron is not as strong as steel. If more clamping is desired I'm guessing the design engineers would have either upsized the bolts and stuck with Gr5 or else used steel thread inserts in the block to make the steel/iron interface effectively larger and used Gr8. Since steel inserts are not common except as repairs, I'm going with rule of thumb I'd probably use Gr5 (or 8.8 which is roughly the metric equivalent)

Of course the right answer for any specific instance is to look at the head markings of the old bolts that come out, and match those if possible. It is possible to replace a Gr5 bolt with a Gr8 one in a bolt and nut application if you use the higher torque spec for the Gr8 bolt, but I'm wary of trying to over-bulletproof a tapped hole in a softer metal by upgrading the bolts.

just my 2 centavos...

Last edited:
The cast aluminum bell will shred before you shear or stretch a series of grade 5 bolts.

Unless you get flange bolt, use washers.

Tractor Supply sells grade 8 by the pound.

This ain't rocket science.

The Bell Housing is pass thru. The treads are in the cast iron block.

The factory bolts are grade 8 for a reason. I don't see the reasoning behind anyone wanting to use grade 5 bolts in this application.

The OP is aware of the source of grade 8 flange bolts (from another forum).

The Bell Housing is pass thru. The treads are in the cast iron block.

The factory bolts are grade 8 for a reason. I don't see the reasoning behind anyone wanting to use grade 5 bolts in this application.

The OP is aware of the source of grade 8 flange bolts (from another forum).

I'm well aware of the "other forum".

Did you not read my post before you quoted me? I said TSC sells grade 8 by the pound.

I live in a podunk town and I can find that size in a grade 8 flange in at least three stores local to me......Fastenal is about 45 minutes away in either direction.

I drive 3-4 hours per day to work and this OP is bitching about having to drive to get a damn bolt.

jesus christ.................

I'm well aware of the "other forum".

Did you not read my post before you quoted me? I said TSC sells grade 8 by the pound.

I live in a podunk town and I can find that size in a grade 8 flange in at least three stores local to me......Fastenal is about 45 minutes away in either direction.

I drive 3-4 hours per day to work and this OP is bitching about having to drive to get a damn bolt.

jesus christ.................

So says the one actually bitching... good for you and your apparently well stocked stores! I drive two hours for work myself... how dare I even mention it :|.
You act as if I havent even tried! I have already driven all over the damned place for the bolts; 9 stores so far! And once again, NOT A SINGLE STORE I HAVE BEEN TO SELLS THEM!!!!
So get off your fkn high horse and move the fk on!

Budda.............

So says the one actually bitching... good for you and your apparently well stocked stores! I drive two hours for work myself... how dare I even mention it :|.
You act as if I havent even tried! I have already driven all over the damned place for the bolts; 9 stores so far! And once again, NOT A SINGLE STORE I HAVE BEEN TO SELLS THEM!!!!
So get off your fkn high horse and move the fk on!

Budda.............

tumblr_mr0y27JLCf1s3aunuo1_500.gif

Back