• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

max tire size stock xj

54's with hood trimming

I'd probably say around 30s. When I tried putting 31s on my MJ stock the rears fit absolutely no problem (MJs have massive rear wells compared to an XJ) but the fronts caught on the fenders pretty badly.

I've got 235s on my XJ right now because they were free, might put larger on it next, not sure.

My limited experience:

1) 31x10.5 Duratracs (slightly under 31) on Canyons fit fine, slight fender liner rubbing that took care of itself, limited turning radius due to offset. Not suitable offroad or more than 3 (non-obese) passengers.

2) 31x10.5 Duratracs on soft 8's (unknown backspacing but they stuck further out) - Not even close. Lots of rubbing around town with one person.

Both trials, completely stock everything. No trimming aside from what the tires took care of themselves (minimal rub marks).

The 235 75 MTRs on the Jeep when I bought it were probably the ideal size IMO for a stock rig (probably get massive disagreement on this). Allowed full travel, steering, etc - when fully loaded (on standard '91 Laredo Alloys)

buy a set of Stazworks, then your tire size is unlimited

The OP asked how big of tires he can fit WITH Trimming... stop posting i've got 3 inches of lift and blah blah blah

the answer is 33's with a crapload of trimming. I have heard of 35's but you are going to have to get different rims either way.

to add on to the question in a way. what would be the max tire size for jsut a straight stock set up?

I Have a 2001 and my buddy a 98 .

My old tires went bad about 2 weeks before my lift came in so i ran stock (no fender trim) 31 10.50 BFG a/t's for 2 weeks .

They were fine on road but no way you could go off road . unless you added lots of bump stop to keep the tire from cramming into the fender and getting stuck or ripped. and you would have pretty much no upward articulation.

Also they rubbed the L.c.a.'s if you turn the wheel all the way , Wich of course it did until i got wheels with a different backspacing. (alot later)

My Buddy has had his (same tire) on for about a year and just didnt wheel it for a while .
but since then he has cut the front fender at the line for the top of the stock flair . and done the rear Cut and fold method that leaves the nice clean lip (search on here for the walkthrough).

He wheels it as is on mild obstacles but had rubbed his tire a bit from not adding extra bump stop to keep the tire from touching in the wheel well.
all he has to do is not turn all the way and bumpstop and he'd be in good shape.

(this is where i edited out my current lift and tire combo even though it does still seem relevant to the subject)

Last edited:
Max Stock (No Cutting) will be either a 235/75, 30x9.5, or 31x10.50 depending on how much your suspesion has settled, how much stuff you carry, and which tires you pick.

If you've got a reciprocating saw, you can clear 33s. Just make sure you take the time to measure and extend your bump stops.

Last edited:
Back