• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear wiper motor still not 3rd one!

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
Recently my rear wiper motor stopped working i checked the fuse and changed out the relay and didnt have much sucess the washer pump still works but the wiper will not move under any circumstances. i did some digging around online and found this is quite common and its more than likely that i need a new wiper motor so i went online to rockauto.com order a reman put it in tried to use it no sucess checked some of the wiring back there in spots where it is most likely to kink and break and found nothing. I sent the reman back and got another put that one in same think i changed the relay agian because it wasnt clicking and had no sucess so i sent that reman back as well and now have another reman in there all plugged in and its still not working. I am starting to run out of ideas and patience with this dang rear wiper. does anyone have any ideas as to what else could be wrong.

use a mutimeter to check for voltage.

If you've checked the fuse, relay, and motor, check the switch (see if there is voltage going to the switch and leaving it.)

BTW: this isn't modified tech, belongs in OEM tech

Does the 95 have a relay for the rear wiper motor? It does have a delay circuit that could fail but I'm not sure where it is located.

An easy first place to check for current (voltage) with your multimeter is at the fuse. Touch a good ground with the negative lead and probe both both sides of the socket for ~12 volts. If you don't have a meter, you can get one that will do for basic troubleshooting at Walmart for ~$10.

Does the 95 have a relay for the rear wiper motor? It does have a delay circuit that could fail but I'm not sure where it is located.

An easy first place to check for current (voltage) with your multimeter is at the fuse. Touch a good ground with the negative lead and probe both both sides of the socket for ~12 volts. If you don't have a meter, you can get one that will do for basic troubleshooting at Walmart for ~$10.

pretty sure the 95's wiper motor relay is by the drivers kick panel in the junction box. but im not entirely sure... i am yet to find it on my 99!

Look in "About me" after you click on your avatar. No big deal but people will sometimes look there (as I did) to find your model year if it is not in your post.

Look in "About me" after you click on your avatar. No big deal but people will sometimes look there (as I did) to find your model year if it is not in your post.

whoops cant believe i said 95 but my friend did use to have a 1995 i guess i was thinking bout his jeep while i was typing

That was easy -- guess we still haven't sorted out your wiper......

No i am afriad we still havent i should metion that the wires for the new wiper motor are different in color from the old ones and to the plug it hooks up too, but this shouldnt affect it correct? I am up at college right now i possibly might go out and buy a meter or wait until i go home for the weekend on friday so i can test the voltage would it be alright if i told you my voltage on like friday and u can tell me where to go from there?

The '99 XJ doesn't have a relay for the rear wiper motor. Power for the motor origiates through a 20 Amp fuse #22 in the Junction Block (JB) (in the passenger footwell). Looking at the mini fuses in the JB, its the 7th fuse down in the rear bank of mini fuses. (RUN) Power goes from the fuse to the Rear Wiper Motor/Washer Switch to the rear wiper motor.

If the rear washer pump works, fuse 22 is good. If it doesn't the fuse may be blown or the switch is bad.

From the switch, the power wire goes through two connectors to get to the motor connectors before getting to the motor. The ground for the rear wiper motor is G304.

At the motor, detach the harness connector and check for 12 volts at pins 4 and 3 of the harness connector to chasis ground (Pin cavity 1) with the ignition switch in RUN, engine off, and the wiper switch in the WIPE position. Pin 4 to ground should read 12 volts at any time with the ignition switch in RUN however. Connector orientation: Looking at the harness connector, the pin cavity on your left is pin 1 (ground), and the one on your right is pin 4 (Fused Ignition Switch Output (RUN). The others are 2 (rear washer motor control) and 3 (Rear Wiper Motor Control).

Here's a pic of the location of ground G304 in a '99 XJ. Pic is a bit fuzzy but I think you can make out the numbers I wrote on the structure. You'll have to remove the spare tire, it's mount, and the trim panel to get at it. Note: I removed the wire loom from the harness you see when trying to locate a splice for my fuel pump (ground G302)

DSCF2371.jpg

No i am afriad we still havent i should metion that the wires for the new wiper motor are different in color from the old ones and to the plug it hooks up too, but this shouldnt affect it correct? I am up at college right now i possibly might go out and buy a meter or wait until i go home for the weekend on friday so i can test the voltage would it be alright if i told you my voltage on like friday and u can tell me where to go from there?

The wire colors may differ from year to year but the motor assembly part number for 1997 thru 2001 XJ's remains the same: 55154944AB.

For 1994 thru 1996 the part number is 55165317.

See if there is a data plate, or other markings, on the motor that gives the Chrysler part number.

I had a similar issue in my '99. I pulled the wiring harness that runs to the hatch. Several wires had chafed because of the constant bending and shorted out. I rebuilt the harness and everything works again.

If the wires were shorting to ground, I'd expect the fuse to cook. I'd put a meter on the connections to the motor, and have a helper try the switch, after verifying that the fuses are not blown. I had issues with the rear wiper and pump on mine, which turned out to be both a dead switch, and a dead pump. Wiper motor itself was fine.

So mine is having rear wiper issues. Neither the rear wiper or the washer pump is working. I checked the wiper fuze and it was fine. I used a multimeter to check fuse spot #22 and was getting around 12 volts on the positive side and the negative side would ground when I would toggle the wiper switch. Does this mean the wiper motor is bad? I haven't pulled the rear hatch cover to see if I'm getting power to the motor yet though. So now that I probably have the wiper motor close to figured out, how can I find out if the washer pump is having issues? Does it have it's own fuse?

Last edited:
I had this problem on my 01 XJ and I found out it wasn't electrical at all but the motor shaft that the wiper blade /bracket fits on had seized. I was able to remove the blade and then squirt some PB Blaster and engine oil down the shaft and then re-attach the blade then I started to move the blade/bracket back and forwards. I repeated this a few times with the PB Blaster / moving back and forwards etc and now it works great.
I think if you still have power to your washer pump this could be your problem if you have no power then it could be electrical

Back