• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Will Not Shift To Overdrive

TERRor

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ Country, 4.0, AW4, bone stock w/256k on the Odometer.

My XJ will not shift into overdrive. I've only had the Jeep 2 weeks and the problem just started in the last 3 days. It was shifting fine before that.

Could it be the Neutral Safety Switch?

i had the same problem on mine for about two years and was to cheap to take it to the shop. i figured out what it was by lots of reading. there were two things to look at, the speed sensor and the brake light switch, it turned out to be the brake like switch. there's about 6 wires that come off of it and it tells the computer wither or not the brake is on. so i would replace that and see. there about 20 bucks at the part store good luck let me know

I adjusted the throttle cable & while it did take a good 3/4" of slack out it didn't solve the issue. I'm going to check the speed sensor & brake light switch next. My only question is if the brake light switch was faulty wouldn't the brake lights stay on or not work at all?

The check engine light just came on so after getting the codes it may tell me the problem. We'll see!

Thanks for the help.

I adjusted the throttle cable & while it did take a good 3/4" of slack out it didn't solve the issue. I'm going to check the speed sensor & brake light switch next. My only question is if the brake light switch was faulty wouldn't the brake lights stay on or not work at all?

The check engine light just came on so after getting the codes it may tell me the problem. We'll see!

Thanks for the help.
The brake switch has multiple sets of contacts in it, some for the lights, some for the ECU I believe (for cruise control cancel), and some for the TCU. If only some of them are gummy it will work partially. It could be the NSS but it's not very likely, I believe you'll get a code P0705 or something like that if it is. Never had that happen though, what I said about the NSS is just fuzzy recollections from another thread.

Back