• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

popping noise from driver side floorboard

If there is knocking when you hit pavement roughness, suspect the sway bar bushings first, and control arm bushings second. If the knocking is related directly to turning the steering wheel, and can be felt at the steering box, suspect the track bar or the track bar mounts. Make sure the frame side track bar mount is very tight, and the axle side bolt hole is not ovuled. Consider buying a new track bar if you do not know the age and condition of the current one.

Failed transfer case shift lever bushings cause a knocking noise that tends to come and go randomly.

My bushings are fine as near as I can tell on my '01. But the 4WD [231] shift lever will still slip back just a little bit and when it does in make an odd rattling knock. It took a while to track it down.

Another source for such a sound can be the e-brake cable rattling on something. Generally it will only do it with the tension relaesed.

Since it is only a problem when idling it's not the cable hitting the drive shaft; that can happen too.

I have springs on the cable(s) on both my rigs to prevent one of each of these issues.

Good luck.

Back