• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft position sensor is now discontinued

I bought two off Ebay for something like $20.00, that's $10.00 each. Now I have a cheap spare. Been running it for several months with no issues.

Is there anything that could be shorting these sensors out? I've noticed it takes longer to crank up than it did before. Even with the used genuine mopar cps i put in.

I wonder if the HO CPS problems could use that same trick?

Just drill out the mounting hole on the CPS with the next larger number drill bit, then push the CPS closer to the flywheel as you tighten the bolts?

I think this issue is the strength (or lack there of) of the magnetic pulse signal.

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246120386&postcount=24

As an aside, last time I got a High Altitude Crank Sensor for my RENIX Jeep, it came from Autozone. The packaging said Wells. When I examined the part, I found a big, stylized, capitol "R" molded into the housing. I'm not sure if it was stated on the part or the packaging, but the country of origin was France.

RENIX parts from France, who woulda' thunk it!

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246120386&postcount=24
I'm not sure if it was stated on the part or the packaging, but the country of origin was France.

Why?, because your XJ is part French.
Much of the Cherokee's original engineering work was done by Renault. They had one of the early super computers used for stress analysis in unibody designs.
They did such a good job that the front suspension was copied in the next edition of the Wrangler.
RENIX was a European ECM system that was adapted to the Cherokee.
http://jeep.wikia.com/wiki/Renix
A lot of XJs were sold in Europe, the sharing of parts is a way to get a car to market faster and at a lower cost.

I'm amazed that there are so many different CPSs, when they all have the same function.
Tickes me off not being able to share the same spare sensors between the 1997 and 2001 XJs.

Renix was a joint venture, Renault/Bendix, Bendix Electronics.

Bendix was bought out by Siemens in 1988, Siemens is a German company, apparently their electronics division is in France.

There are still Siemens CPS' available, I'll be buying one soon as a backup to my original Renix.

What is more concerning to me is there is no Renix flywheels available, NONE! I'm currently searching for a backup flywheel.

I've posted on this before, parts availability, AMC/Renix/Chrysler early parts will become none existent in the coming years. Some parts already are.

You guys really need to consider that as you hack your XJs/MJs to death.

My bad, I forgot to use the sarcasm smiley.

Since the OP is running an OBDI Jeep, maybe we should start a separate thread to find replacements for RENIX specific parts. A few months ago there was a suggestion to put RENIX in the thread title (to aid searches).

I may have a Renix flywheel. Not sure if it is HO or Renix. Can you get me the specs, photo and I will check it out in a few days?

What went wrong with yours? Starter teeth? I am having zero problems with the Renix CPS made by standard in Italy sold by Rock auto. Been working on 2 of my Renix rigs for 10 years now. But the trick with all of them, even the OEM is to drill the mounting hole one number drill size larger and push the sensor closer to the flex plate when you tighten the bolts. On mine it doubled the cranking CPS output voltage 100% (just 1/64" made that much difference), from about .25 VAV to over .5 VAC. Cruiser54 says the Jeep Dealer he worked at did that to even the Mopar Renix sensors for years to eliminate occasional no starts from a weak signal. They also soldered and eliminated the C-101 harness connector and eliminated the CPS connector, hardwired with solder them some times as the OEM signal was even too weak..I have still have my C-101 connector after 290,000 miles on my 87 Wagoneer XJ

I stocked up on Ebay Renix sensors the other day, like $7 MAP sensors from China. Also IACs and IATs (aftermarket, but they need the GM weather pack fittings installed, Fittings which I bought a ton of on Ebay for pennies). I have been stocking up. But the 87-90 Wagoneer amber side lights are no longer made or available anywhere :(

Renix was a joint venture, Renault/Bendix, Bendix Electronics.

Bendix was bought out by Siemens in 1988, Siemens is a German company, apparently their electronics division is in France.

There are still Siemens CPS' available, I'll be buying one soon as a backup to my original Renix.

What is more concerning to me is there is no Renix flywheels available, NONE! I'm currently searching for a backup flywheel.

I've posted on this before, parts availability, AMC/Renix/Chrysler early parts will become none existent in the coming years. Some parts already are.

You guys really need to consider that as you hack your XJs/MJs to death.

Great idea, I'm all in!!!

My bad, I forgot to use the sarcasm smiley.

Since the OP is running an OBDI Jeep, maybe we should start a separate thread to find replacements for RENIX specific parts. A few months ago there was a suggestion to put RENIX in the thread title (to aid searches).

Could be, but when the problem arises a new cps fixes it instantly. What are the symptoms of a bad crank?

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/how-to-test-the-crank-sensor-1

Or use this:

CRANKSHAFT SENSOR TESTING PROCEDURE: 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.

2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C. The terminals are identified as A-B-C looking into connector from left to right with the “notch” in the middle of the connector on your right. Ohmmeter should be set to 10K-to-20K scale for this test.

3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if LOW RESISTANCE

Could be, but when the problem arises a new cps fixes it instantly. What are the symptoms of a bad crank?

It seems that there is no absolute test for a good or bad HO jeep CPS. So in that case, I would verify that there is not something other than the CPS causing the problem. What if anything have you tested to make sure it is bad CPS? This stuff below may help for starters.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/how-to-test-the-crank-sensor-1

Or use this:

CRANKSHAFT SENSOR TESTING PROCEDURE: 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.

2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C. The terminals are identified as A-B-C looking into connector from left to right with the “notch” in the middle of the connector on your right. Ohmmeter should be set to 10K-to-20K scale for this test.

3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if LOW RESISTANCE

I wouldn't expect a main dealer to stock parts for anything more than about 5 years old, even if it was still in production BUT, I think you guys get a much better deal in that respect.

Personally I wouldn't trust RockAuto not to miss a chance to send the wrong part (yes, I know others swear by them) whereas Morris' just seem to have a problem including there own, complimentary, stickers.

Back