• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just my experience with banks headers

ranger125

NAXJA Forum User
well tonite i finally got around to changing my exhaust dounut that i thought was leaking , WELL turns out i have a crack in my BANKS header grrrrr. i bought them a year ago and have never heated them past normal , never hit any water with them EVER and yeah a crack . so i am askin u guys whick header should i buy next as i saved for these god dam headers for a year and am not happy at all . i know about the search and have come up with no clear answers to what header is the best , just about every header has cracked that i have heard of , so fire away at the most reliable header . thanks in advance

condition of your motormounts? do you have a tcase drop? condition of transmounts?

go for the apn header, im pretty sure it has a lifetime warentee its basically a copy of the banks header but only $150ish

well the jeep has brand new motor mounts and tranny mounts , bds 6.5 inch long arm kit, sye and no t case drop . i thoought when i bought them that they would be the best because of banks reputation but i was wrong here . so definitly gonna get a new differnt brand with a new down pipe aslo but i NEED this to be reliable because i am in the middle of know where in canada here guys and gettin stuff is wayy slow hehe

I like my Borla. 7 years and no issues.

it cracked where the 3 pipes conjoin on the front bank of cylinders , i heard about banks warenty but i whould have to take it off and send it in and wait wait wait , and it would take approx 3 or 4 monthes to get it returned . APN have those flex things right??

get your self a new header I would go with APN but get what ever you like then take the BANKS off and send it back and get a new one and sell it on E-bay that way you can at least get some of your $$$$ back.
thats my 2 cents.

I've had the Borla setup for 4-5 years, w/ no problems. I know they're expensive, but I'd definitely buy them again. I can't believe how much the cost has risen in the past ten years and attribute it as being necessary with the aftermarket parts boom and all these mfgs making lesser quality parts that saturate the market.

well i am gonna go with the apn if i can find a way to get it up here for less than 600 bucks , i just finished my 44/9 build with all the goodies so i am all tapped out . oh and i lost my reciept for the banks headers so i am unsure if i can return them ??

The reasons why headers,stock or not,crack on these rigs is due to the fact that the down pipe is mounted rigid.Whenever your motor twists upon acceleration it is also twisting the pipe.Worn out mounts only make things worse....
Jeep should have incorporated a flex joint into the exhaust down pipe,and can easily be done....its one of the things on my to do list actually.If you cant find your receipt weld the crack together and add a flex joint into the down pipe and call it good.

HTH.

verry good point there , what kind of flex joint r u thinkin of using?? there aree the braided honda car type , and the type with a doughnut and the springs .

ranger125 said:
verry good point there , what kind of flex joint r u thinkin of using?? there aree the braided honda car type , and the type with a doughnut and the springs .

The honda type,I never cared for the other kind.All you would have to do is cut the down tube right where it goes under the bellhousing.Weld in the flex coupler.If you can't weld take it to a muffler shop.....they'll weld it in for you.

I'll have to do some digging around online to find one that will fit the xj's downpipe,but that's in the future....I have my hands full of more important things now.If you find one that will work post it here and save me some leg work:spin1:

Back