• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running a rear Ox-Locker? Cable length? Routing?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
After much consideration and deliberation I am thinking an Ox-Locker is the right answer for my priorities. I would like to know what others have done with regard to routing the cable and mounting the shift lever and what length cable they used.

I am thinking I will mount the shifter in the console, to the left of the e-brake lever. From the pictures I have seen online it seems that most folks are directing the cable forwards, but I am not sure if that is because they are running to front lockers, or if there is not a graceful means of bringing the cable up through the floor pan from the rear.

Any thoughts about what does work, what doesn't work, what someone has done, what they would do differently, or whatever else I should be asking but am not thinking of would be appreciated. Pictures help too, of you have them.

Note this will be a Chrysler 8.25 unless a Dana 44 suddenly materializes in my world.

I'll get some pics for you, and you can check it out at the next AAT. I routed mine straight forward from the rear axle, came through the floor near ebrake cable area (made a hole). Mounted the shifter where the PRNDL indicator was (mine was busted anyway so I didn't feel bad). The cupholders on mine were a "snug" fit to get the cable past. As for cable length, I have no recollection.

Overall, not bad, and not in the way of anything at all.

6qcl74.jpg

33mbxvc.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome.

Yes, I would love to take a good look at that. My '96 console is a bit different, but I won't have to sneak past the cup holders. Probably looking at something on the order of 6" closer to the rear of the vehicle than your location.

Thank you.

Bear in mind that there is a air actuated attachment for the Ox that I used on Gomer's old (Lil Gomer's new) front axle. Very clean install. Run air line, and there is an air unit that screws directly into the diff cover.

Yes, you then need a compressor, but for me, I was replacing an ARB, so all the lines were already there. I've since gone back to ARB front and rear.

There also is an electric version, but to me, it's kind of a kludge. Uses a short cable to an electric solenoid.

David Bricker / SYR

I am aware of the options.

The simplicity of the cable is one of the items in my "pro" column. I like the idea of the locker not being dependent on compressor, air lines, battery etc. Ol' Mr. Murphy and me go way back.

I stuck with the cable system for a long time for the very reasons you cited. But recently, as you know, I switched to a CO2 system for my front locker. For a rear locker, I would image that a cable would be fairly easy to route. For the front, in my experience, there are just too many twists and turns required in too small a space for a cable to work reliably. Plus there's the engine heat to worry about. And I see no reason not to drill a hole in the floor and run a cable straight back from the console for a rear axle. That'd make a lot more sense to me than introducing an unnecessary 180 degree bend into the setup.

The previous owner of my rig mounted the shifter to an aluminum plate covering the ashtray. I liked that location very much, though with my automatic AW4 in low gear the transmission shift handle was kind of close to the cable shifter. Not too close to really interfere, but still a point to consider. I don't have a picture of the cable shifter mounted up, but it's in the same spot as the pneumatic toggle switch in this picture.

5018B4EE-1F1E-4724-9210-A2002E879DD6_zpsyt8zvr2g.jpg

Back