• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tcase fluid? np231, atf or gl4 or gl5

german996

NAXJA Forum User
Hello i have a 94 4.0 HO, auto , np231 , it had atf fluid , but how do i know,if it had the correct fluid when I bought it?, I have read that some come with ATF (red thin fluid) and others with the same tcase come with gl4 , are they interchangeable , or does it goes by the production number or by the VIN number? anybody help me to know if i have the correct fluid,? any help is greatly appreciate it,

regards

Geman996

They are not. "GL" specs are for gear oil, which is rather thick. ATF is invariably based on a 10-vis carrier oil, with differing additive packages.

Your auto (AW4 four-speed, designed and built by Toyota/Aisin) takes Dexron II/IIE/III/VI automatic transmission fliud. Use the same fluid in your transfer case - a high-viscosity oil will not work for your transfer case, because the tcase lubricant is circulated by a small pump. This pump is literally not strong enough to circulate gear oil...

Use GL-5 in your axles, if it's available locally. GL-4 if it is not (GL-3 and lower can result in accelerated wear and premature failure of components, due to lack of extreme pressure lubricant additives.) Don't forget to add friction modifier if you have a limited slip in the rear end!

There is a chart of fluid recommendations and capacities up on my site (link in sig) in the Tech Archives. These specs are culled from FSMs, so they'd damned well better be accurate! (That's why there are so many odd spaces - I add to them as I accumulate factory manuals.)

Back