• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 fluid (atf or gl5) question , please help

german996

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, started to some noise when is in 4wd High, kind of something metallic rubbing, doesnt do it in the street only when the front wheel drive is under load, i drained the t case fluid and it had a very thin oil which I suspected it was ATF, the fluid was clean and no metal shavings, the manual says that this T case could take two different fluids , depending on the fluid that drains from it , my questions are :
1-could it be possible that it had the wrong fluid to begin with?
2-where in the vehicle will it said what kind of fluid should it be use for that specific vehicle?
3- can I use thicker fluid?

thank you in advance for all the help
German

The 231 uses ATF for lubrication.Anything much thicker that ATF would have problems being pumped when cold.
A 231 should not be used in 4wd on the street--unless in a straight line.Check your tire pressures to be sure they are equal.

Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
The 231 uses ATF for lubrication.Anything much thicker that ATF would have problems being pumped when cold.
How does a 231 "pump" fluid? It has an oil slinger. FWIW, I've been using 10w-30w synthetic in my 231 for 3 years and not a problem. Outside of the Chrysler world, oil has been used in TCs numerous times.

For a vehicle that tows or wheels a lot, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend oil. If the vehicle is stock and will only stay on pavement, stick with what the MFG recommends.

i seen a small oil pump in the case when i did an SYE on my 231. didnt see a slinger. also, use what ever trans fluid in your tc that you are using in your trans. if auto, use dexII or equivilant (dex III)

german996 said:
thank you guys , for your help, I used the thin oil ATF, but do you think that a thicker oil will get rid of the grinding noise?

Yes it will,because you will be replacing the transfer case.You may be on the way to doing that anyway if it is grinding now.

Find the cause of the noise- Loose chain,worn bearings or a planinatry gear

Wayne

the funny thing is that it doesnt do it all the time , only does it when the front wheel drive is under load, like in soft sand , it doesnt doit when testing I shift to 4 High in the city around my house.. thanks

Could the noise be coming from the front differential or drivetrain? Noises can often be deceptive as to their source, especially when sitting in the car.

put it on a lift , couldnt get to reproduce it, I also replace the front differential fluid , and the rear one, t case fluid and transmission fluid and filter, the weird thing is that only does it off roading, (LOL) not when I put it in 4wd in the city , I have a 2.5 inch lift and rubicon wheels with mtrs, if that would make a difference,, thank you

thatnk you

Wayne Sihler said:
Yes it will,because you will be replacing the transfer case.You may be on the way to doing that anyway if it is grinding now.

Find the cause of the noise- Loose chain,worn bearings or a planinatry gear

Wayne

german996
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_244034811", true);
NAXJA Member

in san diego nonetheless!

just for very short time , and only to test for the noise, went to a place call Fiesta Island, because the last time that i went to the desert with my girlfriend, i shifted to 4H and the big surprise noise came up,, after that day change all the fluids and started an extensive troubleshooting venture,,,,

thanks

under load the loose chain is rubbing on the bottom of the case. probably sounds like a hollow grinding/slapping. If you are really push it, it might give you a "pop" every 5-10 feet.

few facts:
fluid won't fix mechanical problems. The 231 has an oil pump and a pickup.
ATF evaporates and burns up neglected 231's.

is a constant rub, that comes and goes, not metal shavings when I drained it, it sounds like when you have lots of dirt in the rear drums or a shoe came off , but it is in the front , and yes I already checked the brake shoes, it doesnt doit in 4L at all, just in 4H , when the front wheels are pulling,,,,thanks

I imagine that the 231 is similar to my 242 in that there is a powerful magnet located next to the drain hole. I've never found metal shavings while draining my fluid but when I split my TC I found my magnet to be coated in a thick layer of grime and tiny metallic particles. Moral of the story is that looking for metal shavings may not be a good indicator.

fyrfytr1717 said:
I imagine that the 231 is similar to my 242 in that there is a powerful magnet located next to the drain hole. I've never found metal shavings while draining my fluid but when I split my TC I found my magnet to be coated in a thick layer of grime and tiny metallic particles. Moral of the story is that looking for metal shavings may not be a good indicator.

X2 was wondering if someone posting had actually opened a case and seen the magnet!! You will not see metal when draining due to the magnet. OP you need to pull your case and open it up. Look for a loose chain, worn bearings or planitary gears. Most likly you need a new case!

Back