• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a ZJ as a donor for my XJ...

Paintballpsyco2369

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, over the weekend I picked up a 94 V-8 ZJ from my neighbor title and all for a 24pk of Bud Light. Originally the intent was to part it as the engine was bad but after looking the thing over I had considered getting a new engine. Well, don't quite have the money for the engine so back to part out/donor rig to my XJ (and money for a welder so I can return the one I am borrowing presently)

Few details about my rig:
- 1988 XJ
- 98 D30 re-geared to 4.10
- 01 Explorer Ford 8.8 4.10 Limited Slip
- Stock Peugeot being swapped to 96 Ax-15
- 96 231 with 6 planetary gears, hd chain and sprockets and SYE
- 5"ish lift

ZJ details:
- 1994 ZJ Limited
- 3.73 gears
- Trans is auto with around 13,000 miles (vehicle is 232,000)
- T-case is NP-249, beefed up (still waiting for paper with more info)
- Rear is factory trac-lock (PO thinks his PO had it welded though)
- Luxury Leather seats
- Factory towing package
- 5.2l V-8 engine (supposedly warped heads, not sure though)
- Infinity 8 speaker 120w sound system

That is all I can remember now, got the window sticker though for it somewhere, found it with the manual when I got it home.

Originally I just wanted the prop valve and the front DS out of it for my XJ build. He offered me the whole thing for a case and now my mind has wondered into what else I can use for my XJ from it. I have searched around here and a few other places and gotten quite a bit of useful info, but still wondering what else might be useable.

So far the plan is:
- Prop valve
- Front DS for my 231 SYE upgrade
- Hitch (not the receiver, the thing that goes into he left in for me)
- Most likely all the seats as they look almost new
- Jeep floor mats (came with the nice rubber factory ones)
- Jeep cargo mat (also included)
- Keep the steering from it to upgrade mine at a point in the future
- Thinking about the front sway bar too if the bolts come out easily enough

Any ideas what else I can use?

Could I use any other parts of the brake system to upgrade mine?

Could I use the starter, alternator or anything else electrical from it in mine?

Thanks for any help you can provide, I look forward to your response.

Paint

Last edited:
there is a write up somewhere on the web about how to get the alternator to fit an xj, its just grinding off a spot of the mounting bracket i think, the stock xj alternator is 90amp and the v8 zj is 130amp so DO IT!!!

the rear axle should have discs on it and those will fit your xj rear end if you have the stock rear end. unless you got hella lucky and it has a d44 rear end then please shit can your stock xj axle and swap that bad boy in... you could go super serious and make a 3 link for the rear....

and like you said definatly upgrade your steering!

I was gonna say you were wasting your money picking up a ZJ to be a donor for an XJ... but DAMN that's a good price!

The rearend is unfortunately worthless to you, a d44 out of a ZJ has an aluminum center chunk and they are not as strong as a "real" d44. You're better off with the 8.8 you already have. Sell the axles to someone who needs them for what they are and use the money to buy something you want.

I'd also spend some time investigating that motor, if it is not actually smoked, you could either build something with it or sell it for some good money.

you could use the front shaftout of the ZJ, the seats,tieroad and the rest of the stuff yu can sell/partout to make some extra $$

I would use the parts listed then sell abunch of stuff off, but it would be kind of a dick move to sell everything without giving alittle of the profits back to the neighbor, but that is just my 2 cents.

there is a write up somewhere on the web about how to get the alternator to fit an xj, its just grinding off a spot of the mounting bracket i think, the stock xj alternator is 90amp and the v8 zj is 130amp so DO IT!!!

the rear axle should have discs on it and those will fit your xj rear end if you have the stock rear end. unless you got hella lucky and it has a d44 rear end then please shit can your stock xj axle and swap that bad boy in... you could go super serious and make a 3 link for the rear....

and like you said defiantly upgrade your steering!

I was hoping I would be able to do that, cool. I know there is more power in it so I really wanted to do it. Will definitely find out how to get it to work.

The rear does have disks, but I already have the Ford 8.8 with 4.10 Limited slip and disks so set with that. The D44 in the rears of that are aluminum so not the greatest. Also I am set with the leaf springs in the rear for now. Perhaps something better in the future when I have learned more and get more experience with this stuff...

For now I will use the steering I have. If I bend it though, or when my buddy who knows how to do alignments can come over, then I will switch it out. Definitely going to keep it though.

I was gonna say you were wasting your money picking up a ZJ to be a donor for an XJ... but DAMN that's a good price!

The rearend is unfortunately worthless to you, a d44 out of a ZJ has an aluminum center chunk and they are not as strong as a "real" d44. You're better off with the 8.8 you already have. Sell the axles to someone who needs them for what they are and use the money to buy something you want.

I'd also spend some time investigating that motor, if it is not actually smoked, you could either build something with it or sell it for some good money.

Originally I just wanted the prop valve and the driveshaft for my SYE upgrade lol. Like I said though, for the price I would have to be an idiot not to do it lol.

That is my plan, to part it out, sell everything I don't need or can't use. Most of which I can't use.

My plan is to get a decent welder with the money. I know I can make enough to get like a Lincoln 125 or 140, possibly a bigger one. I would like that Miller that is 110 and 220 with the plug you can swap out. Friend of mine works at a welding place so he can get me their discount on a new welder... Will see what I can do with it...

I have 2 thoughts with the engine, either sell it as is after I look it over and such, or tear it apart. I have no real knowledge or experience with engines so might tear it down to learn about it, then sell it or something.

you could use the front shaftout of the ZJ, the seats,tieroad and the rest of the stuff yu can sell/partout to make some extra $$

I currently have a DS from another V8 ZJ but no zirc fitting on it. This one has a fitting so planning to grab it while I can lol. I also think it may be an aftermarket shaft, it looks different than my other one.

I would use the parts listed then sell abunch of stuff off, but it would be kind of a dick move to sell everything without giving alittle of the profits back to the neighbor, but that is just my 2 cents.

That is the plan, keep what I can use then sell the rest. I do still plan to try and give him some of it. I definitely would feel like an ass not doing that. I don't think he would take it though. It took 2 days to talk him into at least taking something for it. He wanted it gone and I said at least for something, he said ok, how bout a case of beer? I said ok, what owuld you like, he said BL so I got it. I will try to offer him something at least once it's gone. I really think he was just glad to have it gone and out of his hair though so...

Thanks again,

Paint

Well, so far here is the game plan:
Holding onto:
- The alternator as an upgrade
- Steering for replacement upgrade
- Brake master cylinder and booster to replace and upgrade that on my 88
- Proportioning valve, same reason as above
- Front driveshaft to use with my SYE in the rear
- Hitch wiring so I can plug in a trailer on mine
- Will most likely use parts of the body as patch steel for my holes
- Friend of mine is swapping his rims and tires from his truck for the ZJ ones as they are a 15" rim and slightly bigger tire than his
- Rear parking brake lines
- The long piece of brake hardline along the body rail for my rear axle if it is in good shape still
- Whatever hoses I see inside the engine bay that are in better shape than mine are
- Jeep branded heavy duty floor mats and cargo area mat

There are 2 things I am still unsure of...
- Thinking about adapting the overhead console, the part in front if the moon roof window so I will have a temperature and direction gauge, can't decide though still...
- Also can't decide on the seats. They are perfect condition except for being a little dirty so could probably get like $150 or $200 or so for them. On the other hand though, they are comfortable as hell, and the 60/40 split would be an awesome upgrade for my rear seats. Also, the power adjustments might be kind of nice too lol.

On that note, Anyone have any idea roughly how much headroom I might loose putting those seats into my XJ? If too much that may make my decision right there as I am about 6'2" lol. That and I could REALLY use the money right now too...

Anyone else have anything else to add by chance? Thanks again for all the assistance.

Paint

Just replace the ZJ's Motor. They are GREAT rigs...

Untill the transmission goes bad.. (inevitable)

Just replace the ZJ's Motor. They are GREAT rigs...

Until the transmission goes bad.. (inevitable)

The trans was replaced not that long ago, I know that much and that the t-case was rebuilt and beefed up. I would love to replace the engine and have a jeep to drive now, but the rockers are toast on it and I just don't have the money or time to do it right now. Plus I could really use the money in parting it out right now. No job and still in college so... Got one more semester till I am done, so I need to get my rig done so I have a good vehicle for my winter classes... Also, I really want those parts from it to upgrade my XJ lol. Wll be some nice additions to my rig. Thanks for the reply,

Paint

Looks like a great list, but be aware you can buy brand new 3/16 brake line 72" long, perfectly straight, perfectly clean, with two 3/8-24 invert flare nuts on it at autozone for like $7... preflared. I would much rather do that than reuse old brake line.

Depending on the wiring, that OHC may be adaptable to fit the XJ... I just saw a thread recently on doing this, can't find it unfortunately. Basically, it needs to be a CCD bus based one, not a PCI bus based one. You transplant the ZJ BCM (body control module) and wire it into the appropriate temp sensor + other signals and then attach it to the CCD bus and it "just works."

I might be interested in that transmission for a spare.

PM me a price please..

To be honest, make an offer lol. Not too much of an idea what they are worth. I can look around to see what I can come up with for a price, I still need to drop it from the ZJ, but I am a manual transmission guy so I would have no use whatsoever for it. I know it was recently replaced and I think my neighbor said it was something like 13k that he put on it since then so... He is looking for the papers for me still that have all that info and such. I know when it was replaced he upgraded the t-case and the rear diff was welded too so... Not sure what else was done but hopeing to find out soon.

Looks like a great list, but be aware you can buy brand new 3/16 brake line 72" long, perfectly straight, perfectly clean, with two 3/8-24 invert flare nuts on it at autozone for like $7... preflared. I would much rather do that than reuse old brake line.

Depending on the wiring, that OHC may be adaptable to fit the XJ... I just saw a thread recently on doing this, can't find it unfortunately. Basically, it needs to be a CCD bus based one, not a PCI bus based one. You transplant the ZJ BCM (body control module) and wire it into the appropriate temp sensor + other signals and then attach it to the CCD bus and it "just works."

I know I can get it there and most likely will, I was going to try and go el-cheapo and save as much as I can right now, but it probably would be better to just go that route... What I will probably end up doing though is still take that piece of hardline and use it as practice with my flaring tool as I will be having a couple of small pieces to do with my brake system upgrades in the engine bay

If you happen to come across that thread again, please post it or pm it if you can, would like to read it over to see if it would be worth my time at all lol. Any idea how to tell the difference? Also, what exactly is a body control module? My XJ never had one so there would not be any provisions there to make it too simple, I was hopping to just need to do the sensors, then wire the map light power and "sensor unit" to the power and be set. I guess I definitely have some more digging to do before I decide on that lol.

On another note, originally I was going to trade a friend of mine the tires and rims on his truck for the ones on the ZJ so he can have bigger tires. Just found out though yesterday he is now planning to sell the truck and has no interest in doing that anymore lol. Tires are about 50% tread still and are too small for my rig, but the spare is literally brand new and in perfect shape. Still has hairs and part of the tag over the tread actually too lol. Will just end up keeping that as a spare for my brother probably as he is looking to get a jeep sometime soon...

Thanks again for the replies. Any other thoughts to other parts I should hold onto anyone?

Paint

Practicing flaring before working on the vehicle: ALWAYS a good idea. :thumbup:

Practicing flaring before working on the vehicle: ALWAYS a good idea. :thumbup:

Indeed, especially since I think the tool I have is a pos lol. Got it from harbor freight THEN read up on how to do it. Been trying it as best as I can with some scrap line pieces I have and it keeps pushing through the block. Going to see if I can still return it (sadly, doubtful) and either get a good quality tool or use my friends dads tool. The HF one is a total POS!

I will get it eventually here lol.

Thanks again to all,

Paitn

I found that also. I get good results using the double flare buttons from the hf kit with the single flaring kit I had from home depot already. The anvil/bar thing and the screw portion from the hf kit simply sucked, the machining on the buttons is marginal but they get the job done. If I was going to buy again id get a decent kit elsewhere instead of 2 cheap kits to combine.

Back