• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build A Cheap Rollover Catch Can / Breather

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
*This is also in Mod-Tech, but I know some don't get over there too often*

Alright, so I cannot remotely take credit for this. I got the idea from a thread on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ass-mostly-aluminum-catch-can-under-15-a.html

But, since I know most of you don't venture there...I'll go ahead and post the build up of mine now :D

So a list of what you'll need (minumum):

* Aluminum Water bottle - Free in my case thanks to CSU
* Breather Filter - $6.32 + tax after 40% off at Advance Auto
* PCV Valve (PN# PCV1122) - $2.99 + tax at AutoZone
* 3/4" x 1/2" Hex Bushing - $1.95 + tax at Home Depot
* 3/8" ID x 1/2" MIP Brass Hose Barb Adapter - $3.12 + tax at Home Depot

So, total for the main stuff (if you have bottles free like I did):

$14.38 :greensmok

So on to the "build":

An overall picture of everything:

IMAG0574_zps34763bcf.jpg

IMAG0575_zps42c9e774.jpg

IMAG0576_zps8b08b21c.jpg

IMAG0577_zpsa517a0b6.jpg

So I did think slightly differently than the write-up on pirate, not by much though. You can either go the route in the pirate thread, or follow mine.

First things first. I smoothed out the small nipple lip on the PCV valve, then tapped it to 3/8x16.

*Note...the smaller part of the PCV valve measures out to about .350 so not completely .375 but taps just fine...you'll see where this makes a difference in a few. As well...the PCV valve is a one way valve so the internal "ball" will prevent it from leaking out in case of a rollover.

After it has been tapped:

IMAG0578_zps91366fad.jpg

Now...drill a hole in the center of the bottom of the bottle. Since the piece isn't really 3/8", I used a size T(~.358") drill bit for a better, tighter fit.

IMAG0579_zps9f794ea0.jpg

From here, I assembled like so with washers and o-rings for sealing. You can do as you like...this is just what I did.

IMAG0580_zps8da938b8.jpg

Now...it isn't the easist to get done inside the bottle but I figured out my own little tricks and it goes pretty quick.

IMAG0581_zps12d57fbc.jpg

Next, assemble the two adapters together and screw into the neck of the bottle. I used RTV between all threads, but you can use whatever you feel like...RTV, JB Weld. Whatever makes ya feel better :D

IMAG0582_zpsd71834f1.jpg

Last but not least...put the filter over the piece of the PCV valve sticking out and viola...done!

IMAG0583_zpsfd818d8a.jpg

OK...so a few more side notes. The filters I got didn't like to go on real easy. So to get them on I had to use a heat gun to get the rubber maleable then push it on. In order to get it more "flush" as shown below...I had to drill the rubber out to a larger hole (~1/2"), then heat and push. But, once done it comes out a little nicer like so:

IMAG0584_zpsdb6e514a.jpg

I'll get them mounted soon and add some pictures!

I've made a couple identical to that before.....found the same thread on Pirate awhile back. They work awesome and I think they look pretty damn cool.

Last edited:
I've made a couple identical to that before.....found the same thread on Pirate awhile back. They work awesome and I think they look pretty damn cool.

Yeah, they definitely work pretty dang good. I poured water in in and the PCV valve would baaaaarely start to drip out water.

So I think it is safe to say heavier viscosity fluids will be no problem :D

I actually went and looked at the dollar store (Dollar Tree) since it sounds like they carried them.

But I wasn't able to find any locally for "cheap"....i.e. dollar store.

Hell...next time I go to a CSU game and they hand these out....i'm gonna hoard a crapload of them :D

That's where I bought the ones I used was at the dollar store. They had a huge bin full of them in like 10 different colors.

I used to never really care for them for water bottles, but after I found the thread and made a few of them, every time I get a chance to snag one I do! :D

Nice! This looks like just the thing I need for the flipped D300 going into the buggy. These flipped 300's always seem to puke gear oil out of the breather hose. If I mounted something like this to a tube on the cage above the case, this should keep oil from leaving the breather system...... yes?

That's where I bought the ones I used was at the dollar store. They had a huge bin full of them in like 10 different colors.

I used to never really care for them for water bottles, but after I found the thread and made a few of them, every time I get a chance to snag one I do! :D

Hell yeah...if I had seen any of these in the dollar store I would have gotten several!

Nice! This looks like just the thing I need for the flipped D300 going into the buggy. These flipped 300's always seem to puke gear oil out of the breather hose. If I mounted something like this to a tube on the cage above the case, this should keep oil from leaving the breather system...... yes?

Troy, I'll be running one of these each for my doubler, front, and rear axle and yep...it'll keep oil from puking out since you have both a resevoir AND a one way valve.

Why would ya need to run the PCV? Wouldn't it be better to allow the blow by to run back down into the gear box when it's sitting?

I was thinking the same thing -- if its gravity back to the case when upright, why the PCV?

Why would ya need to run the PCV? Wouldn't it be better to allow the blow by to run back down into the gear box when it's sitting?

I was thinking the same thing -- if its gravity back to the case when upright, why the PCV?

One way valve...

I.E...

Its open and "breathes" when your upright...but closes if your on your lid (like a ball & socket valve)

:D

:doh:

For some reason I thought the valve was at the bottom....... Carry on..... :twak:

^^ what he said.

Back