• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter question

mattk

NAXJA Forum User
OK this is a stupid question but humor me please. How do you remove the starter? For some reason I can design and build a front long arm suspension among many other mods but I can't remove the starter. :mad:
It's a '97 with a 4.0 and the AW4. I pulled the two bolts that I can see as well as the wires and it won't budge. My usual solution is to use a bigger hammer, but I would like to rebuild it and use it as a spare.
What am I missing? is there something behind that plate covering the flywheel that I need to remove? Help!
mattk

I bet you removed the wrong upper bolt. I know thats what I did, so make sure you got the right one out.

Im not sure about your 97, but on my 90 theres 2 bolts that hold it on. one from the front and one from the back. mine are NOT both going in from the front. Its a minor oversight but i learned the hard way. HTH

Mike

Thanks guys, I got it. There are two bolts close to each other from the back. I pulled the one that stuck out more and didn't see the other one at first.
Thanks,
Mattk

Back