• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 4.0 knock/pop at rear of motor. Ideas?

EVILLT1

NAXJA Forum User
Any legit thoughts or ideas are welcome.... My 99 4.0 has a loud tick as if something in the rotating assembly is contacting a static part of the block. This started after I had a low oil pressure warning at idle when the motor is hot. I installed a new oil pump, pressure is fine now.
I have poked around, pulled the valve cover all looks good, pulled the pan all appears good. I rotated the motor by hand with the pan off and I can hear what sounds like a popping at the back of the motor near the main seal. I Cannot see anything that would cause this. I cannot say for certain this is my mystery noise but it’s a pretty good bet it is....

Anyone have a similar noise or issue with a resolution?

Thoughts tips ideas or brain storming is appreciated....

Motor is an ATK reman with less than 5k miles. No check engine lights or codes....

Thanks
Rob...

Check your flex plate for torque and cracks!

I checked the flex plate for loose bolts at the converter, they are tight. I did not look at the bolts that attach to the crank or for cracking. I will check that next.
Thank you.

All pistons appear to be in good shape, nothing on the cylinder walls or excessive play to indicate piston slap. If you know of another way to rule it out other than visual and touch I would check em out again.

Thanks guys keep the ideas flowing.

-Rob

Back