• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding sheet over rear windows

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I know XJs came as panel vans, but has anyone ever welded sheet steel over the rear windows? Would it help strengthen anything?

I wouldn't think so. Have you stiffened frame rails and/or added crossmembers?

See a lot of them chopped behind C pillar

I have the front and rear frame stiffeners welded on already. The center center doesn't fit because I have those detours rock slyders. I have them welded into the LCA and the rear leaf spring mount. Also I have a Rockhard cage with the plates welded/bolted to the frame.

If you're caged, the sheet metal over the windows is not likely to provide any additional support.

Never seen a panel XJ. That's a new one.

David Bricker / SYR

Haven't seen welded, I have seen sheet metal put in for the rotopax mounting linky

I wouldnt think there would be a lot of flex, there are no hinges and is between 2 pillars and the windows are relatively small compared to something like the windshield.

I would be more concerned with having front & rear frame stiffies, but none in the middle.

I'd figure out how to make the center ones work...................

Cage helps but I would be worried about the center section as well. I Don't think rock rails are enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back