• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd gear trans issue

jeepboy73

NAXJA Forum User
my 98 xj wont upshift when left in drive but you can manually shift from low to drive and the trans will shift from first to third. all i have done so far is flushed the trans. anyone ever come accross this?

Sounds like the TCU/fuse/harness may not be functioning.

First, fluid condition, type, quantity all correct? We will A**ume yes as you have just flushed it, we are positive you used Dex III (or equivalent), and checked the level.

Second, we are going to A**ume that the throttle pressure cable is correctly adjusted, and that the TPS has been tested and is within specs.

Now, unplug the TCU and drive shifting manually. You should have 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D; reverse, neutral, and park. If that is what you get, then the problem is electrical/electronic in nature.

Check the fuse in the PDC, should be a 10 amp--is it good?

the fluid still has its reddish tint to it. i did drain the cork at the bottom of the pan and refill it with some kind of all makes combined snake oil from the wynns distributor. im sure the level is good, i havnt checked or adjust the cable, havnt check for proper tps sweep but i know no code is stored. when driving i do have 1 in 1st, 3 in 3rd and neutral and park and that, its like that all the time. i dont know if i correctly described when left in drive it takes off in 3rd gear. i bought the cherk for a song but im thinking if i just replace the trans it may not resolve the issue. i check all the fuses and they are good. i cant find the tcu fuse using all data but all the fuses in the underhood pdc are good. theres only 1 10 amp and its got current running through it.

good stuff. i think im on the right track now. i did some checks, i have good power and ground to the tcu. after ohms testing my solenoids i found the tcc 15 ohms, solenoid 1 8ohms, and solenoid 2 1800k ohms. im guess solenoid 2 is no good. ill check my wiring up to the trans, i wonder are shift solenoids still available?

solenoid 1 and 2 both worry me. 1 is likely going to work sometimes (measure again once it warms up and see if it's in the allowed 11-15 ohm range), but you have a definite problem with solenoid 2.

You can pull them off a working transmission or buy a full set new from various companies online.

good stuff. i think im on the right track now. i did some checks, i have good power and ground to the tcu. after ohms testing my solenoids i found the tcc 15 ohms, solenoid 1 8ohms, and solenoid 2 1800k ohms. im guess solenoid 2 is no good. ill check my wiring up to the trans, i wonder are shift solenoids still available?

I'm thinking its time to drop the pan and measure directly at the solenoids. Have a look at http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=996259 for sourcing new solenoids. A junkyard would be a cheap option.

Back