• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You guys ever seen this? Pin holes in head

I'd probably go with this plug set..

As to other things to do while you're at it, hah that's a long and windy road. That's how we like them though, right? :smootch:

Since you've got the engine out, probably the hard to get at stuff like RMS, oilpan gasket, maybe a new flexplate? If the head is coming off I'd do lifters too. Definitely check your exhaust manifold for cracks and replace or have them welded over. New manifold bolt kit is a good idea. I took my intake manifold to work, where we have a high-temp pressure washer and cleaned out the decades of EGR gunk.

And a bad boy under the bell housing:
FreezePlugrear-2.jpg

That brings back such bad memories. A steel freeze plug, at the rear of the engine, really?
My 2001's engine only had 85,000 miles, well, that was OK because it had a burnt valve too. So out it came.

While engine was out, I found a large deposit of casting sand around one of the the other rear freeze plugs. When cleaned out, the freeze plug fell apart.
Must have been cast by the same crew that cast the 0331 heads.
It's nice to have a bottom end that will last 200,000 miles but if the 'little' things break or rot off, what's the value?
If a brass freeze plugs had been used, costing an extra 75 cents, the block would have not needed removal.
Removing and replacing a head is fairly easy to deal with, R&Ring a engine is a big deal to my aging body, it's not something i enjoy doing by myself.
The next engine is coming and hopefully everything will be done right and it last until they take my keys away and give me a self driving jeep.

I would be worrying about a head gasket leak. If it leaks exhaust into the coolant, the coolant goes acidic and will eat freeze plugs as well as water pump impellers and such.

It's the cam plug which is bathed in oil!

It's the cam plug which is bathed in oil!

5 plugs on block -- 1 plug on back of head - 2 plugs under flex plate

the lower plug under the flex plate is for the camshaft and bathed in oil

Sure seems like the kit is intending 1 water jacket plug to be steel

Which one and why?????

Back