• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key-off Amp. Draw

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
Would a few of you (preferably from a couple different "climates" or temperate zones--I'm in Toledo, Ohio [+/- single digits here lately]) be so kind as to check your key-off amperage draw? I had an Optima Red Top fail this morning (last night) and it was too sudden to be my measly 13.1 mV amp. draw. I'm just wondering what some others' measure.

Thank you.
EDIT: Yes, I know. mA, not mV. Typo./poor thinking at the time. Also, I finally found in my FSM that 5-25mA is normal, so now I'm really at a loss as to why my Optima died so suddenly.

Last edited:
alot of us had had problems with the optima in cold weather. I'm not sure why such an expensive battery should do this, but you might want to look into a "cheap" battery.

i had an xj that would allow me to pull the key before i had the ignition all the way off, battery would drain in less an hour. i just had to make sure i had it in the full off position. but i have also had problems with optimas draining. i dont use them anymore. once they fully drain they never seemed to perform as well

Yeah. In another thread started by HeavyMetal, I mentioned that I replaced it with another "cheapie"--$70. It has fewer CCAs, yet it starts as fast and sounds the same, as the Optima did new.

Back