• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help diagnose my 242.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I recently did a bunch of work. However, my 242 was giving me problems before I did anything. It didn't bother me enough to do anything about before, but now I think it might be compounding other problems I am going to fix.

I don't think that I am getting out of 4 wheel drive fully. Is that possible? I thought it was a in or out thing. When I put it it 4X4, I know it is in. But when it is in 2 wheel drive, and I turn hard my steering wheel kicks like I'm in 4X4. I don't remember it doing that before. I talked to another member and he said 242s are known to be finicky and I need to check my linkage. I know my bushings are worn cause my shift lever rattles at lights. I am going to replace those and check my linkage to make sure I'm in 2X4. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or could give me any other suggestions. Anything else to look at besides linkage. Thanks for any input.

baseballneal86 said:
I had similar problems. After replacing the bushings and properly adjusting the linkages, everything works just fine.

Cool, thanks.

Back