• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Through the draw

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
A little animation to explore suspension dynamics

YeeHaw!

Five-point front and rear; 20" center hub to flair; 24" arms; raise axle mounts 1.5"; lower frame mounts 1.5" onto subframe rail stiffener: 12" total travel; 30" tires. Total pinion angle change: +/- 1*.

Here's a smaller Avatar size

rollinxxsmall164um.gif

XJ Dreamin'

Re: Through the draw: CORRECTION

Stock control arms cause +/- 1* pinion angle change. Equal length arms, as in animation, will cause 0* pinion angle change.

XJ Dreamin'

Thanks. It started as a little 2D CAD sketch of the control arms to explore the difference between paired control arms and a radius arm - particularly along the lines of what happens to the pinion angle through full suspension range. I got a little carried away.

The front/rear 5-point XJ project is a few years away yet. The rear might end up 4-link triangulated. I need to do some more research and acquire a project XJ (can't do anything to my current DD until the project is on the road).

XJ Dreamin'

hackedxj said:
That's cool, I want to see it get more air. lol

How about have the hood crumple in one frame and be straight again in the next frame, like a "Dukes of Hazard" jump. Really, it needs a little nose up rebound before it loops but it was mind numbing just to do these 32 frames. The frames were done in a little 2D CAD program called DeltaCad (v4). A nice cheap little package if you don't need 3D handling and rendering. The animation was put together in Corel PhotoPaint (v6) and converted to Gif by Gif Construction Set (unregistered shareware) I just wanted to explore how paired control arms affect pinion angle and couldn't stop until I made it do something.

I haven't explored how to make an Avatar but I thought a small gif might be good to have around for when my red name comes through.

enjoy.

XJ Dreamin'

Back