• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Universal Remote B&M Transmission Filter

akxj01

NAXJA Forum User
1. Is anyone using (or used) a remote transmission filter on their AW4 transmission?

2. If so, does it create any backpressure that would cause a seal to start leaking, or cause premature failure of the transmission pump?

3. Does the remote trans filter (specifically the B&M Universal Remote Trans Filter) provide excellent filtering of the fluid? I flush my trans fluid every summer (20,000 miles or so).

4. Are these remote filters even worth it?

5. Where do you all have it mounted?

I am about to install the B&M Universal Remote Transmission Filter on my AW4and want to make sure it will not cause any problems, or may just return it if I find out from you all that it sucks.

Thanks.

2001 XJ 183,000 miles

1) I've not used one with the AW4 yet, but I've used them with THM350/400, A727, and some THM700R4 boxes with good results.

2) "Backpressure" is really only at issue if you have crimped your lines somewhere - else, you'll be fine using a quality filter.

3) I like to think they filter better than stock - and a replacable filter element is quite likely to do rathe better than the OEM AW4 filter. You've probably seen the OEM - it's a "strainer", rather than a "filter". Leave that in place, but add a true "filter" anyhow.

4) Depends on the application. However, with the high-heat/low-speed applications like we've got, it can help just by adding fluid capacity to the system (about a quart and a half-pint to a pint for the lines,) and that would mean it takes longer for the heat to accumulate in the system, and you could throw it off more quickly (more fluid to cool.) That's a plus. In conjunction with an air-liquid heat exchanger (instead of the liquid-liquid unit that came OEM) and a thermostatic bypass valve, you could put yourself well ahead of the heat game. Heat is the enemy!

5) Mounting would be goverened by filter size and underhood space available. I've even seen it done on the hood panel itself, but I don't like doing that. If it takes some re-arranging to do, it's worth it to have the filter mounted in a "pendant" configuration (vertical, open end up,) and remember to pour the filter full of fluid when you change it. This helps prevent the "dry spot" you get when you have an empty filter cannister for the first time (and is why Diesel fuel filters are invariably "pendant" mounted, and why oil filters should be mounted the same way.)

Short form, I've never had a transmission problem that could be traced to a remote/external filter I'd added. Typical problems with automatics come back to excess heat (cooler failure, or not enough cooling for the application,) letting the fluid go too long (at 20K, you've got no reason to fear that!) or wrong fluid (Type F, Dex II/IIE/III/Mercon V, and ATF +3/+4 are, indeed, different.)

Its kind of funny to see the exact same post on a different forum.

1) If it takes some re-arranging to do, it's worth it to have the filter mounted in a "pendant" configuration (vertical, open end up,)...

I am trying to think how and where i could mount the filter so the open end is up, and have an idea although how important is it to have it mounted like that. Does the pendant configuration allow the fluid to use 100% of the fliter surface, as opposed to less if the filter is mounted sideways?

Where does everyone else have it mounted?

I am trying to think how and where i could mount the filter so the open end is up, and have an idea although how important is it to have it mounted like that. Does the pendant configuration allow the fluid to use 100% of the fliter surface, as opposed to less if the filter is mounted sideways?

Where does everyone else have it mounted?

If you're using a full-flow filter (most spin-on cannisters are,) you'll be using the full media surface. What actually happens is that crud will collect at the lowest point of the filter, then the media will gradually get crapped up upwards until it's all clogged with collected crud (nature of the beast. Gravity, and all that rot.)

The main reason for pendant-mounting a filter like this is so that you can fill it with fluid before you start the thing - thus saving sending an air slug through the system, or having it run dry until the cannister gets filled. I honestly wish more outfits would set up their engine oil filters like that - it would save considerable wear once people know what's going on.

Is it "critical" that the filter is pendant-mounted? No. It is hugely helpful? Yes - and it should be done wherever possible.

Back