• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire gouges, how deep is to deep

crazymaci

NAXJA Forum User
So my new to me, nearly brand new toyo open country has a deep gouge almost to the belt, at least I think. How deep is to deep to use on the road? My common sense tells me to buy another tire and rotate that one to the spare. But I'm in the middle of swapping my axles and suspension and funds are barely there to get me finished with that, so how long do I got.my old tires had several gouges almost as deep and never gave me issues, but I could never see the white belt stuff. What is your guys expeiriance?

What is your usual commute?

Surface streets, 45 mph and under I wouldn't worry about it.*

Freeway, 55mph and up I would not want to trust it.

It is not just yourself you are involving in this picture. It is also the rest of the world out there with you on the road. While there are plenty of deadbeats out there, there are also a bunch of moms with little kids. I am not aware of any legal way to make sure that if you have an accident you will only impact the deadbeats.

* I would make it a point to take a look at it every now and then and make sure it wasn't opening up.

Sucks, but I have go with better safe than sorry. Don't be a Bubba.

Should have bought road hazard. :rolleyes:

Your plan is the only sensible thing to do. Check around, you might be able to find a used tire.

I've had deep cuts just like that. Didn't think twice about running them on the highway. I wheeled them aired down on the rocks and made the two hour trek home quite a few times

Thanks for the feedback. Overall safety is my main concern, im not just worried about moms in minivans but also my own family, wheeling is a family deal from my 3 yr old daughter and when my 3 month old son is older him too. My xj isnt my DD and my commute to work is 5.1 miles on surface streets, but with that said i would still like to drive it around town, and to my wheeling spots until i get a flatbed. Im sure it would be good on a trail, but if i drive it around a while ill at least know it can handle being a spare, wouldnt want to just assume its ok and get stuck on the side of the trail or road. Ill look for a new tire and rotate that one to the spare

If its a 32 or smaller, I'd run it in the rear and feel ok. Bigger than that and explosive decompression can really throw the car around, I'd toss it.

Back