• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knurled Ball Joints??? !@#$%^&*()_+!!!!!!!!!

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I installed these gems in 2011. They had a good, hard, life!

attachment.php

Today, I went to pick up the same numbered parts, and the housings had deep, straight knurls. NO SALE!!!!!!!!!!! I shopped other retailers and looked at Ball Joints with less pronounced knurling, no love there.

Who still makes Ball Joints that won't hog out the holes in my inner knuckles?

I would go with Spicer 706944X ball joint kits. They are what came with the Jeep from the factory and are not knurled.

Thanks guys!

Order for Spicer joints in the works.

AutoZone had a lower ball joint that will work for the interim. If it matters, that part was made in... Canada.

I wasn't aware this was a problem. I will say that the Moog lower "problem solver" joints appear to be leaps ahead of parts store joints- if for nothing else than that they have a grease fitting I'll actually be able to use with the vehicle assembled!

I wasn't aware this was a problem.
I measured a few, they were .006-inches bigger diameter than stock Ball Joints.

If the inner knuckles had enough wear that they could not hold a stock ball joint, I would gamble on the "Problem Solver" products having the same dimensions the next time I need to replace these wear parts.

Until then, I ain't fixing what ain't broke.

Raybestos used to be a name spicer parts were sold under. There was another name that was only spicer reboxed but I forget who it was now. I think both parts companies (spicer and raybestos) are defunct now, maybe spicer has made a come back but it used to be difficult to find their parts.
A few years ago I picked up a bunch of spicer/raybestos steering parts on clearance at rock auto and amazon
The raybestos professional grade 500-1058 & 500-1117 are reboxed spicer. At least they were a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spicer is still in production. They have absorbed a smattering of other companies (Omix Aida) comes to mind. The joint kit I got from them isn't splined. Finally replacing the 300k mile joints on the drivers side.

Back