NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 31st, 2017, 08:29
NAXJA Forum User

factory upcountry suspension

Hi,

I just picked up a 1993 Cherokee sport, 4.0L and 5 speed manual, and I'm trying to figure whether or not it has the factory upcountry suspension. From another forum, supposedly it has:
Quote:
UpCountry =

+1" springs that are slightly firmer
deleted rear sway bar
skid plates
tow hooks
rear Limited Slip differential
Heavy Duty Cooling
transmission cooler
full size spare
upgraded gas shocks
It has factory skid plates (front, transfer case, and gas tank), full size spare, and a factory limited slip, however no tow hooks nor rear sway bar delete. Were these options mixed and matched or something? I thought the skid plates and lsd were indicative of upcountry, but now I'm not so sure.

I tried looking for part numbers on the suspension but the vehicle has been thoroughly undercoated. No trans cooler, though it's a manual transmission. Any idea how to tell? Maybe the length of the bump stops (according to quadratec, the rear bump stops came in 2.9" and 4.0" lengths)?
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:41
NAXJA Member

Re: factory upcountry suspension

Your description, skid plates, limited slip, full sized spare on exterior carrier, is the way my '89 Laredo came from the factory.
Old December 31st, 2017, 08:50
Freakish Hand Strength

The Up-Country option package contained all of the items you listed. Most or all of the Up-Country upgrades were individual option items that could be ordered separately from Jeep, or from the Dealership after the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Blanket caught in the rear liftgate latch. Now I can't open.
Old December 31st, 2017, 09:43
NAXJA Forum User

Okay, so I have to look at the suspension itself then. I did some more digging and saw at factorychryslerparts.com that there are indeed two different rear bump stops: 104 mm (4.1") for regular 4wd cherokees, and 74 mm (2.9") bump stops for 2wd and upcountry suspension ones.

Part # 52004297
BUMPER. Jounce.. BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce, BUMPER, Rear Jounce w/2WD or w/AWE (Up Country Susp. Pkg.). [SDB], 1984-85, 1986, Height = 74mm, Without [SDC,SDU], Without [SDU].
BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce. Height = 74mm. . Required: 02 Part # 52002393

BUMPER. Jounce.. BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce. [SDC,SDU], [SDU], 104mm, 1986, Height = 104mm, With [SDC,SDU].
BUMPER, Rear Axle Jounce. Height = 104mm. . Required: 02

I measured my bump stops and they are 2.9" tall (and I have 4wd), so it looks like I have the upcountry suspension
Old January 1st, 2018, 16:55
NAXJA Forum User

Okay, so you can only tell by the suspension then. I think I figured it out though. According to factorychryslerparts.com there were two factory rear bump stops: a 4.1” one for regular 4wd XJs and a 2.9” one for 2wd and upcountry suspension XJs. I have the 2.9” one and 4wd, so I must have the upcountry suspension.
Old January 1st, 2018, 17:03
NAXJA Forum User

Mine is not an upcountry. It is 4x4 and came factory with the shorter bump stops.
Old January 1st, 2018, 17:48
NAXJA Forum User

Damn 20th century Detroit packaging logic. Does your jeep have a trailer tow package by chance?