• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken hub bearing bolts

burntkat

NAXJA Member #1145
I have a 97 XJ I'm working on catching up on the maintenance from the DSPO.. In so doing I took the hub bearings out last night- breaking three of the bolts in the process.

No huge deal, I cam replace them with 6-point bolts (preferable) that are grade 8 or better (ie, 10.9 for the metric world). But I don't know the size of them, would like to have the threadpitch available so I can grab replacements on my way home.

I've found they are either M8x1.25 or M12X1.75, 90mm long. There seems to be some difference depenging on years, and who you ask.

Does anyone KNOW what they would be for a 97? I realize I can match them up to the hub bearing threaded boss, but I don't have that available at present.

Sorry, seem to have wasted time on this. For others who may look- go to Oreilly's site and check the part you want- go into "details" and you will most likely see the specs.

for a 97 XJ, the threads are M12X1.75. In my research on the subject, 90mm length seems pretty stable. I ought to be able to find these bolts locally without a problem.

You can get them on Amazon with next day or 2-day delivery:

Dorman 917-509 Hub And Bearing Mounting Bolts

81Ar-Ea-yyL._SX463_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-509-Bearing-Mounting-Bolts/dp/B01ID3YKXI/ref=pd_sim_263_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01ID3YKXI&pd_rd_r=RCBPHRV62HWKPAZKCYHE&pd_rd_w=OQ6Cd&pd_rd_wg=qgyx5&psc=1&refRID=RCBPHRV62HWKPAZKCYHE

You'd be better off getting the correct ones versus generic due to the unthread milled down tip that helps you get it started.

I am aware of this. I already ordered those- and cancelled it.

My experience with Dorman's fastener selection has been that they are subpar. Chinesium at its best (which is to say, worst).

The pilot tip isn't a big deal. It's not a blind hole, and if I really need that feature I have a flapper disc on a die grinder. I think I can manage to properly thread the fastener into a hole 3" away. ;)

Also, real, graded, structural bolts will cost me about 50% less than those will. Additionally, I can get them in the preferred yellow-zinc coating (yellow zinc has better corrosion resistance than silver). At any rate I'm going to goop the heck out of it with antiseize anyway.

Wound up getting them at Lowes. Dead on the same size, with 6 point head. Proper grade as well. $3.50 for two. What a deal. It's a shame they didn't have the M14x2.0x120 I need for the leafs, though.

I agree on Dorman fasteners. I once bought their leaf spring shackle kit with hardware. The bolts felt like they were aluminum but were marked 10.9 and a magnet kind of stuck to them. No doubt they were Chinese pot metal.

If you want good bolts, buy ARP!

If you want good bolts, buy ARP!

While they're certainly good, they're not needed in all applications.

A good quality grade 10.9 of the appropriate thread/pitch is completely sufficient for the job.

sufficient for the job.

I hate terms like that! But realistically you get much more in strength, precision threads, bolts that torque more uniformly, and you could also get them in stainless!

I hate terms like that! But realistically you get much more in strength, precision threads, bolts that torque more uniformly, and you could also get them in stainless!

You don't need them in stainless. They don't need to be stronger- they're not load bearing. The threads are precise enough.

Any moron can make an over-built widget. Engineering is the practice of analyzing the need and building to that need.

Back