• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Denso Alternator slip ring (comutator) replacement?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
'91 XJ, 4.0L HO motor.

I pulled my Denso Alternator to replace the brushes, and I noticed the slip ring (comutator) is getting pretty worn. It will have to be replaced in the next few years. Has anybody ever done that on the denso? It seemed to have a solid metal end on the shaft ... I couldn't see any way to press off the slip ring.

I've found slip ring videos on youtube, but none of them are for the denso.

Thanks.

I did it a while back. I squeezed the slip ring in a vise to deform it then it slipped off fairly easy. There was a video, that's where I got my information. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Jason

Thanks for the reply. When I look at the rotor shaft, it seems to be solid metal from the end of the shaft, right down to the edge of the copper slip ring ... kind of looks like the slip ring is build right into the metal shaft, if you get my meaning. Almost looks like a metal cap has been attached to the end of the shaft, flush with the edge of the SR. I'm thinking that can't be right.

I would post a pic, but I've put it back together with the worn SR, just because I needed to drive it. It's working, but its only a matter of time until that SR wears through.

Yep, 150a denso alternator off a 1998 zj 5.9l.

I don't know if you have the parts yet, once you have the new slip ring in your hand it makes more sense.

Jason

Back