• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant bottle

ctrow

NAXJA Forum User
I got an 88 xj with the closed coolin system. I've gone through two over flow bottles, and it's time for number 3. Does anyone know about a metal bottle that uses a radiator cap. I've heard that someone makes one that hooks up just like the plactic bottles. Anyone know where I can find it?

www.macsradiator.com

http://www.macsradiator.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28&HS=1

DuratekPhotoB&W.gif

Hope this helps.

Jim

Hey homey or 5-90

Could you use a a metal tank like the one above for the open style system? I am looking for a cylinder type bottle or something that fits in a tight space, but i have had no such luck? Sorry to pirate your thread.

noah

The open system isn't filled via the overflow.

In working order, an "open" system should be filled to the bast of the radiator cap/neck, and the overflow should be 1/3 to 1/2-full. This allows room for coolant expansion (that's why it's there,) but provides a small reserve of coolant to draw upon in case the system gets low (when it cools off, via the Vacuum Relief Valve in the cap.)

5-90

muddshutter said:
But with the overflow bottle that you pointed me too, i cannot open the top up and pour more coolant in. So, how do i fill it?
Why can you not just go down to nappa and buy a small over flow bottle for about $5...

Homer,

Will this work for an open system? So from the top of the radiator take the hose to the bottom of this bottle and then a hose at the top of this bottle down towards the ground as a spill over? I am asking as i am VERY interested and even as an engineer, i want to make sure i do it correctly.

noah

muddshutter said:
Homer,

Will this work for an open system? So from the top of the radiator take the hose to the bottom of this bottle and then a hose at the top of this bottle down towards the ground as a spill over? I am asking as i am VERY interested and even as an engineer, i want to make sure i do it correctly.

noah
It will work just fine. Run your hose from your rad to the bottom...the top fitting is the vent...fill it about half way to the top and put the cap on it.

Jim.

XJBeater said:
I like those metal replacement ones. Those are pretty trick.

I do too, but i dont like the price.

I do work at an HVAC place, with a sheet metal shop. I talked to to shop manager, and he said he could make one if i had the dimensions. Does anyone have one of these, or can anyone provide me with dimensions?

Thanks for your time.

I bought the "heavy duty" pressure bottle for my closed system on Ebay, and ran it for 3 years without a problem until I went to an open system, and now its in a friends rig.

I only went open because I punched a hole in my radiator and got a deal on a new in box open radiator. It doesnt cool as well, and I'll probably go back to the closed system next time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEEP-CHEROKEE-C...ryZ33602QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It looks like the whole reason for the "reinforced" label is because of the metal peice that is in it. I dont have a problem with this area, i have problem with top portion where the cap screws on. (Brand new tank and cap after a month) It looses its holding ability very easily. The only way around it that i see, is getting a metal one.

IIRC the plastic is thicker with thicker webbing as well.

the replacement OEM bottles also have that insert.

Back