• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1997 aw4 transmission harness intechange?

97jeepxj1

NAXJA Forum User
Let's pretend my over harness thread doesn't exist right now. (I do still need that harness to to but it's not my issue). My question is if I go out to the upull yard and pull the harness for the transmission from a 96 will it work? Yards local to me have 96 and down xjs only. Turns out I've been trying to chase the wrong sensor and harness. Had a reputable local shop pull codes and lucked put that the mechanic went through the exact same mess as me a while back. My cell is tied to vss in the trans not the OSS in the tcase like all the code readers I've had access to said.

Most junkyards have an interchange "catalog" (computer) available for you. At the pick a parts around here, you just ask them for the info at the pay window.

Not sure what kind of luck you'll have with interchangeability of a harness though?

From the sound of I'm stuck needing one from a 97. Guess I can pull it out of mine and try to fix it without messing it up more then it is already

You can replace the VSS separately. The trans side is the round thing at the rear and only held in with a single bolt then wiggles out. The harness side is the little white barrel connector on the driver side, there's one little tang that holds them together, just have to clean it really well and use a small pick, pops apart clean

I havent messed with it yet other then getting the bracket out of the way and looking it over last night. How to the other places the harness plugs in come apart best?

Let's pretend my over harness thread doesn't exist right now. (I do still need that harness to to but it's not my issue). My question is if I go out to the upull yard and pull the harness for the transmission from a 96 will it work? Yards local to me have 96 and down xjs only. Turns out I've been trying to chase the wrong sensor and harness. Had a reputable local shop pull codes and lucked put that the mechanic went through the exact same mess as me a while back. My cell is tied to vss in the trans not the OSS in the tcase like all the code readers I've had access to said.

Doh! I took it for granted that you knew the 720 code was for the trans output speed sensor. The trans computer doesn't really care about the vehicle speed since that depends on the xfer case.

Back